Finally: A Use For Pearl Scraps!

So I saw this on ebay and went "AWESOME" a cool way to use all those pieces of pearl that aren't good for anything after you've cut out the inlay pieces.

3dcc_1.JPG

I think it looks kinda cool, and it's OPTIMAL because the more jagged and strange your pearl cut-offs the better!

Just route a hole over-sized for the truss rod cover you want to make, then drop in the pieces, black epoxy, sand flush, and then cut out the truss cover's shape! And hell, if you've got TONS of pearl scraps, you could even do it for a control cavity cover :D THAT would be mad crazy/cool!

Chris

So I saw this on ebay and went "AWESOME" a cool way to use all those pieces of pearl that aren't good for anything after you've cut out the inlay pieces.

I think it looks kinda cool, and it's OPTIMAL because the more jagged and strange your pearl cut-offs the better!

Just route a hole over-sized for the truss rod cover you want to make, then drop in the pieces, black epoxy, sand flush, and then cut out the truss cover's shape! And hell, if you've got TONS of pearl scraps, you could even do it for a control cavity cover :D THAT would be mad crazy/cool!

Chris

In all honesty that looks tacky and ugly imo.

Oh, I didnt make it. I just found a pic of it. But I do plan to try it eventually. And whether you think it's tacky up close, get ANY distance from it, and it's just shiney from any direction.

Chris

I think it'd look less tacky using just White MOP or just Abalone, but it's not too bad a concept. No worse than other slightly over-zealous uses of shell in other designs I've seen.