Gold Leafing

So I was watching a couple of painting shows on DIY and they were showing using gold leaf on some things. I was wondering is it possible to do something like gold leaf on a guitar? Lets say on the head of the guiter, instead of like a mother-of-pearl inlay could you do a gold leaf of the bird with some glue or something to hold the gold leaf and then just lacquer over it or something so it doesn't get torn up? I would be interested in doing this and if you guys have any ideas I could do it and make a tutorial if it turns out. Thanks

So I was watching a couple of painting shows on DIY and they were showing using gold leaf on some things. I was wondering is it possible to do something like gold leaf on a guitar? Lets say on the head of the guiter, instead of like a mother-of-pearl inlay could you do a gold leaf of the bird with some glue or something to hold the gold leaf and then just lacquer over it or something so it doesn't get torn up? I would be interested in doing this and if you guys have any ideas I could do it and make a tutorial if it turns out. Thanks

Yes, that's doable, and you'd need to cover it with lacquer or similar finish. Though it's simpler these days to create a waterslide decal with gold ink and stick it down with lacquer on top as it's less fiddly (I think).