Table Saw Dust Storm

GoodWood

A dust collector and a good broom.

Trying to seal up all the holes is pretty fruitless, and may actually make things worse in the end. A good dust collector helps some, but not all that much. Most of the dust from a table saw is actually thrown up from the top of the blade. Wear some good eye protection and a dust mask and clean up when done.

It is rediculus the stuff that is blowing around. I just designed a solution, I will post a pic! Vacume nossle hookup is a must. I wear a respirator, not jsut a mask, whenever I go into the "dustbin" right now. Man, I have never seen this much wood dust. If I cut any nasty wood like Ziricote or Cocobolo, it would get immediate attention. This stuff will blow around for a few days, its not good, especially the exotics.

Ok, just got a $100.00 Delta to do Kerf, binding etc, and man, I was not prepared for the dust this thing kicks up. I will have to enclose the bottom (and all open holes) but just wondering what your solutions may have been for this.

Your going to lose a lot of material making binding and kerfing on a table saw, and making so many cuts will certainly create a lot of sawdust. Be careful to make good jigs to keep your fingers away from the blade while you try to stabalize those little bits of wood. Binding for instance(generally less than 1/8" thick) is going to want to just shatter when you run it through the blade. As far as dust I control it with my dust collector hooked to a table saw attachment(attaches underneath). It keep it down pretty well.

Good luck, and cut safe,

Rich

Ok, just got a $100.00 Delta to do Kerf, binding etc, and man, I was not prepared for the dust this thing kicks up. I will have to enclose the bottom (and all open holes) but just wondering what your solutions may have been for this.

Your going to lose a lot of material making binding and kerfing on a table saw, and making so many cuts will certainly create a lot of sawdust. Be careful to make good jigs to keep your fingers away from the blade while you try to stabalize those little bits of wood. Binding for instance(generally less than 1/8" thick) is going to want to just shatter when you run it through the blade. As far as dust I control it with my dust collector hooked to a table saw attachment(attaches underneath). It keep it down pretty well.

Good luck, and cut safe,

Rich

Yea, Blade guard is a must must, although a pain pain. I worked in a 'pro' shop for a while, he didnt have one (do any pro shops?). Got angry at girlfriend one day(girlfriend made him angry, take your choice) , lost tip of thumb.

Basily the leg brace forms 2 sections, upper and lower. Im enclosing the upper entirely. The bottome gets a ''collapsable' dust collection box that fits perfectly when opened, just have to deal with the corners so it collapses to get it out.

I was going to cut my bridge plates out of the maple slab I have, it has quarter-able wood in it, but I would have to angle cut it, and its 2X5X35, and its not worth it, tooo scary. Im probably a rosewood plate guy anyway. Oh well, maple bindings up the wazzooo.

I made a simple MUST HAVE feather board from Home Depo Paint stir sticks not Lowes, HD has real good square ones). I cut off 2" sections and glued them up in a perfectly spaced feather board, with about 10 long sections. Its a must have. I also did a "blade friction reducer" by mounting a strait piece of nice ply to the fence that ends at about the peak of the saw blade, so there is a gap when the board is cut through using a fence, so when the wood is cut, it doesnt go ' CHUNK'. It was messing up my mold cedar. I dug though and got some really nice quarter sawn cedar 2x4's at Lowes, for the mold etc. I cleaned them up, really nice stuff. Took 3 mos to dry out.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a bag below mine. It catches the bulk, but of course not the dust.

I run fans, pushing the stuff out the door, and wear a mask.

I'm going to get together some dust collecting equpiment. There's a sanding box I saw a Plan for I'm going to build myself, and Grizzly sells some good hookups for the common shopvac.

www.grizzly.com

Edited by Carl762