Home Made Piezo Bridge / Pickup

METALSUSTAIN

If you use the search function you'll find there was a fairly lengthy topic on using a piezo from a buzzer stuck to the sustain block of strats, think someone did it with a floyd as well, if not it should work just as well.

I don't know how you're expecting a piezo pickup to work.

and yes I believe they were using a simple pre-amp (though I may be wrong).

I believe you can get floyd rose piezo bridges (I think there's one in the graph tech 'ghost' piezo system line), but they're expensive.

Edited by Robert_the_damned

Having actually tried the piezo-buzzer-on-the-bridge-block trick myself I can say that it sounds like pants. The bridge block is not the optimum place to position these piezo units as it picks up as much string vibration as it does the vibration of the tremelo springs themselves. It does work, but it doesn't sound particularly nice. There is a reason that piezo units are mounted in the saddles :D

One alternative that has been suggested, and that I haven't tried myself, is to fit the piezo buzzer unit between the neck and body in the neck pocket. I would imagine however that it aint going to sound anywhere near like an actual piezo saddle system. Approach with an open mind and expect anything.

Having actually tried the piezo-buzzer-on-the-bridge-block trick myself I can say that it sounds like pants. The bridge block is not the optimum place to position these piezo units as it picks up as much string vibration as it does the vibration of the tremelo springs themselves. It does work, but it doesn't sound particularly nice. There is a reason that piezo units are mounted in the saddles :D

One alternative that has been suggested, and that I haven't tried myself, is to fit the piezo buzzer unit between the neck and body in the neck pocket. I would imagine however that it aint going to sound anywhere near like an actual piezo saddle system. Approach with an open mind and expect anything.

Believe it or not I found I got the best "acoustic" sound when I put the piezo on the headstock. It really did sound much better than other positions on the guitar.