I Can Help You With Your Kahler Questions.

Most of you don't know me. Those that do,.. know me as John at Kahler Parts. I am the Parts, Service and Support head at Kahler USA.

If anyone needs some Kahler questions answered I'll be glad to help you. Its my job.

If you want to hear a Kahler live, or need some 1 on 1 help, I will be happy to call you on the phone or better yet...If your able, i can Skype or MSN messenger you with my PC video camera and give you a E-jam Lol. Privately email me at wammi@wammiusa.com

I will arrange with you a private showing of the range and sound.

If any of you out there are familiar with streaming live or videos that can be displayed on the web, please email me. I am unfamiliar in this territory but I am anxious to post lessons and demos of the sound, ranges and techniques ect. I need some expert video posting guidence here.

Wammi J

www.wammiusa.com (951) 541-2387

www.kahlerparts.com (760) 494-5969

:D

Edited by Wammi

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooo ooo, pick me!

I was thinking of using a Kahler trem on a headless guitar. Do the fine tuners on a Kahler have enough "muscle" to bring a string up to pitch on such a guitar? They seem like too-small thumbwheels for the job, but it's worth asking. :D

Also, what's the largest string that the low-E saddle can accomodate?

Also, what's the return/exchange policy at wammiusa like? EG, can factory defects be easily exchanged without much hassle?

Thanks for the offer to help and for stopping by PG! A lot of Kahler fans in these parts, it seems. :D

Greg

i posted in the other topic as well.but to expound.i have found i cannot fit anything larger than a 42 string in my low e saddle,and that is a bit of a bother.

i bought a black kahler 7300,and it is badly machined in the trem arm socket,as well as not being completely flat on the bottom,and the low e clip broke when trying to install a set of "regulars" on the trem.do you have any plans on changing the ball clips from cast potmetal(or whatever it is cast from) into something a bit stronger?

why are the intonation screws round headed?i replaced mine with flat topped screws of the same size,and the strings clear much better,and allow the strings to set in the saddle much more positively.i can even link you to some

http://www.fastener-express.com/index.asp?...amp;ProdID=2431

they are ss,but surely ya'll could find the black ones?and ss would match the chrome better...and i even bought some brass ones from ace hardware that would match the gold unit

also.i think you guys should send complete installation and routing instructions,with accurate measurements for optimum performance.height of saddle above body when strung would be great,because it is very easy to overlook on the first install,as i myself and another guy on here did,and we had to make some pretty fancy adjustments to compensate.

glad to have you here though.i think there are alot of grey areas that should be addressed,and i have more as well.

such as the thumbwheels.they are hard to adjust on the 7300...the threads seem a little rough.

i also have a chrome 7300 and it is head and shoulders above the black one in quality...any insight into why that may be?

IM000120.JPG

this is the unit i speak of.it is strung in the pic with 9s...then i tried to move up to 10s and that is where the problem began.

once again...i bought a chrome one at the same time and i just swapped them.the chrome one is superior by far.

i am a big supporter of your trem,i just need some assurances,because my next project will be an assload of these guitars like this one,and i want a 7 and 8 stringer as well,and i have worries

Wes, I remember that information in that post; that was the inspiration for the questions. :D I also need a sense of "assurance" before I buy one of the units in black.

Wes, I PM'd you as well, but this thread's as good a place as any-- I know you hate headless, but any personal insight as to whether a Kahler-style trem even COULD be used in a headless system? The issue that was raised to me is bringing the string up to pitch-- the fine-tuners are meant to be that, "fine" tuners. Do they have the muscle?

Greg

Ooo ooo, pick me!

I was thinking of using a Kahler trem on a headless guitar. Do the fine tuners on a Kahler have enough "muscle" to bring a string up to pitch on such a guitar? They seem like too-small thumbwheels for the job, but it's worth asking. :D

Also, what's the largest string that the low-E saddle can accomodate?

Also, what's the return/exchange policy at wammiusa like? EG, can factory defects be easily exchanged without much hassle?

Thanks for the offer to help and for stopping by PG! A lot of Kahler fans in these parts, it seems. :D

Greg

Greg,

Congrats on making this my first question answered here. This is a great site!.

A kahler won't work for your headless. #1) There is not enough tuner travel to bring you up to tune. Not even close. #2) All string hooks are .60 (except for 7-8 strings) and the roller groove is big enough for that.

#3) As far as my return/exchange policy goes.....I want to make you happy. I will exchange it, refund it, work out the problems with you, whatever it takes to get you rockin!.....ok? Lol

No worries and thank you for the welcome!

Wammi

Sorry, I just got done watching a documentary about Wal-mart. Makes one leery. So if the guy's legitimately here to help out, I apologize.

I'm sure you can find a vendor for your tinfoil hat on Slashdot, Mick :D

In any case, I agree that his first post should have been in the auction/classified section. Since we have a bunch of people, including myself, that do have legit questions about setup and maintenance of the new-generation Kahlers, I don't think a thread in the main discussion will hurt anything.

Are the 2300 units made better than the new 7300s? It seems like it's Fender vs. Squier here or something like that.

Oooh...first thunderstorm of the year...I better shut down!

Welcome John - I've emailed you before about questions I had, and you were very helpful!

2 questions/suggestions in this open forum:

Perhaps Kahler should consider a non-behind the nut clamp, like the old original Bill Edwards finger-tite?

There's a new trem called Trem-King (they post here too - and judging by their placement of the arm between B&E, Kahler was maybe an influence) who seem to have had some luck with the strings sliding over flat Graph-Tech inserts instead of rollers - maybe you guys should experiment with something like that?

Edited by P90

I dunno...I think this should be moved to the auction and website supplies section. Maybe you guys are missing the point, but he's really trying to sell stuff here. At least, that's how the post comes off to me.

Sorry, I just got done watching a documentary about Wal-mart. Makes one leery. So if the guy's legitimately here to help out, I apologize.

Mickguard,

Very respectfully....

I digress. I see it like this,

Sure i would like to sell some trems and bridges...yes absolutely. I run a business. I sell Kahler tremolos through my own web store, Wammi USA. I sell what I play with everyday. But I really joined this forum to help out if i can and maybe help others make a responsible decision before they put their guitar under the knife. I love working with end users and just want to help if i can and maybe make a buck or two, Americana style!. Thats all.....forgive me if i gave off the wrong impression. These are my true colors....red, white and blue. And since I also run the Kahler USA customer support and parts dept. for Kahler USA, I saw an opportunity to let others know about Kahler products. I know more about Kahlers than anyone except Gary Kahler himself. This is why i have this job. With over 900 parts to keep track of for 20+ versions (ever here of the 2600?), in 4 different colors, I know all the inner secrets of all the models. I want to help.

Wammi

well.i love the rollers and i do not like graphite in these applications.so i would hate to see that.keep the rollers clean and you will be fine.

yes the clips are 60...but when the wrap is made at the ball end of the string,it thickens it,surely you know what i mean?

mick,this is the perfect place for this.i am sure he wants to increase sales,but i think there is nothing wrong with that because he is also here to answer questions

Glad to have you here! Did you visited because of my Sig on your forum? Or just got a goggle hit for us?

Anyway, I hope we can provide a lot more feeback for your systems, since we are the "tunners" instead of the players.

Yes i did because i am a worry wart. When you said probs were happening and the site name, i switched to high gear. I like the site and figure i can help out.

I see I am causing some indigestion with some other members. Im a tough pill to swallow i guess. Also getting a zillion questions...which is good i guess. Till i have to go to bed. Lol.

I hope I can keep up because the phone from Kahler support and my biz is keeping me occupied. Anyhow did you get my reply to those string sizes? .90 on 7 and 8?

Wammi

i am also curious about the 2300.i find them to be near impossible to buy and i would readily pay extra if it is a flawless unit.idon't buy parts to be cheap,i buy them to be flawless.if i wanted cheap i would buy an already built ltd...they cost less than just the parts and wood for that explorer i built.

not that i am saying the 7300 is cheap or flawed.i justwonder if the machining flaws are still being "debugged"

as far as a locking nut,a behind the nut is already available,and the site says a one piece is coming soon(last time i was there)...but a floyd nut works fine...that is what i used on mine

Welcome John - I've emailed you before about questions I had, and you were very helpful!

2 questions/suggestions in this open forum:

Perhaps Kahler should consider a non-behind the nut clamp, like the old original Bill Edwards finger-tite?

There's a new trem called Trem-King (they post here too - and judging by their placement of the arm between B&E, Kahler was maybe an influence) who seem to have had some luck with the strings sliding over flat Graph-Tech inserts instead of rollers - maybe you guys should experiment with something like that?

Mr. P90,

Call me ignorant i guess. I am a geek yes but I really don't know much about other stuff except Kahlers, system I, II and III's, wonderbars, floyds ect. The little stuff gets lost in the multitudes, and cobwebs of my brain......If you could email me a pic or a reference url for the edwards fingertite, i'll get a better understanding what your after.

FYI Rollers work better...no drag. My opinion.

Wammi

I see I am causing some indigestion with some other members.

just to be clear.i am not one of those members.i have been chasing your trems for years now and i am ecstatic you are here.i just found some issues on mine that i think are important for you guys to resolve.in the form of clear,concise info if nothing else.

as in string diameter.nowhere in my literature does it reccomend lite strings,but it really should...also nowhere does it mention saddle height and it really should,because some guys want to rout out a fixed bridge and install the kahler,but this won't work on a standard guitar with no neck angle...you follow?

don't worry about sleep.the site will still be here tomorrow.you can get your sleep and come back :D

i posted in the other topic as well.but to expound.i have found i cannot fit anything larger than a 42 string in my low e saddle,and that is a bit of a bother.

i bought a black kahler 7300,and it is badly machined in the trem arm socket,as well as not being completely flat on the bottom,and the low e clip broke when trying to install a set of "regulars" on the trem.do you have any plans on changing the ball clips from cast potmetal(or whatever it is cast from) into something a bit stronger?

why are the intonation screws round headed?i replaced mine with flat topped screws of the same size,and the strings clear much better,and allow the strings to set in the saddle much more positively.i can even link you to some

http://www.fastener-express.com/index.asp?...amp;ProdID=2431

they are ss,but surely ya'll could find the black ones?and ss would match the chrome better...and i even bought some brass ones from ace hardware that would match the gold unit

Well....

Where do I start? I'll be brief, please understand i want to answer all members questions so i'll shorten my answers. ok?

1) You said: i cannot fit anything larger than a 42 string in my low e saddle. - I have used 46 and 52 in GHS Boomers and never have a problem, windings and all.

2) That arm hole is not badly machined, that is chamfered that way on purpose to eliminate cross threading. All Kahler cam systems have his since the 80's

3) What is not flat on the bottom? And the "metal" in the string hooks has been the same since the 80's too. This is all a new thing because these days everyone wants to be a Zak Wylde you know? .52's are the max you can use somewhat safely, and thats pushing the envelope. Yes I suppose we will have to make them stronger but the market is not quite there yet. This is a small segment of players with this problem. I think we will eventually sell a beefed up string hook for the heavier strings. I know we have some now, but they are slated for the 7 and 8 strings and in short supply yet. I will inquire, then when more are available, I will push for availability through the parts store.

4) That screw has been used since the inception back in 81. What else can I say? Honestly, no one has ever said a thing to me about this before, so i am baffled. sorry.

5) not sure what this is about....ss? black ones? you talkin rollers?

Hope this helps and thanks for the welcome mat.

Wammi

its about the screws that hold the forks in. If you don't have a neck angle or your fretboard is at the same height as regular strat trem would be, the saddles need to be pushed down to the point that the strings hit the top of the screw before nesting in the roller.

I made this guitar for a recessed TOM, and after visitinig your site Idecided to go wit hthe trem, whell I found out after getting the bridge that I needed more neck angle than what I had. I recessed the trem and it works great now, I guess it was a "noobie" mistake on my part for not making a full size mock up with the dimensions of your trem before comiting to glue the neck.

DSC03380.jpg

Here is a link to the thread

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=27786

Edited by Maiden69

also.i think you guys should send complete installation and routing instructions,with accurate measurements for optimum performance.height of saddle above body when strung would be great,because it is very easy to overlook on the first install,as i myself and another guy on here did,and we had to make some pretty fancy adjustments to compensate.

glad to have you here though.i think there are alot of grey areas that should be addressed,and i have more as well.

such as the thumbwheels.they are hard to adjust on the 7300...the threads seem a little rough.

i also have a chrome 7300 and it is head and shoulders above the black one in quality...any insight into why that may be?

Kahler USA does not want to do this. There are so many guitars out there in every shape and size. They want you to see a luthier. Its a liability thing ya know.

as for instructions on all the other stuff. I am working on that on my own. I have specs posted...but not the ones your after. I will add to the spec page at the site. thanks for the suggest.

Fine tuners need lube. I use GHS white grease but you can use a any good heavy type...not liquid. dont use 3 in 1 for this application. lube thoroughly.

Now about the plating. This is easy to explain. The two colors are miles apart as far as how its applied and secondly its a different flatter finish by nature. The chrome is good ol standard chrome yes indeed. The black however a special type of plating and is outlawed in California due to it being high in chemicals and can't be disposed of in the state. So only 3 companies are still grandfathers in to do it here. Thats just the history...As for the finish, it's solid...just not real shiny. It's a semi-matte black finish.

Hope this helps.

That arm hole is not badly machined, that is chamfered that way on purpose to eliminate cross threading. All Kahler cam systems have his since the 80's

i think you misunderstand me...the arm drags on the black one i have as if the threads are binding.the chrome one i have does not do this...but that is very minor.

What is not flat on the bottom?

the base...it is slightly warped.it makes a difference because i need them to sit flat.maybe it is just that particulr unit.again the chrome one i have does not have this issue

not sure what this is about....ss? black ones? you talkin rollers?

no just the intonation screw...you know how when you string it up the string almost touches the intonation screw behind the roller?it is an oval head screw and it just causes a bit of a rattle if the saddle is set low.some of us like pretty low action and having strings close to the body near the bridge as well...don't get me wrong,i know next time to create a neck angle to raise string clearance to the body so the saddles sit higher.i justwish it would have been mentioned in the literature because it is not apparent just by looking at the bridge...and it is very difficult right now to find a working guitar with a kahler to look at in the stores...aside from the haneman model and the kerry king model,i really know of none.

these are just suggestions anyway,because most of us are very unfamiliar with these trems...an installation sheet would be a REALLYgreat thing to include in the box...you know,saddle height,stuff like that

please don't read this as antagonistic.i just have to type in a hurry ecause my net kicks me off alot and i lose my post

its about the screws that hold the forks in. If you don't have a neck angle or your fretboard is at the same height as regular strat trem would be, the saddles need to be pushed down to the point that the strings hit the top of the screw before nesting in the roller.

I made this guitar for a recessed TOM, and after visitinig your site Idecided to go wit hthe trem, whell I found out after getting the bridge that I needed more neck angle than what I had. I recessed the trem and it works great now, I guess it was a "noobie" mistake on my part for not making a full size mock up with the dimensions of your trem before comiting to glue the neck.

DSC03380.jpg

Here is a link to the thread

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=27786

The answer to the screw problem is very simple...your saddles are way to low. Saddles should be no less than 10:30 o'clock. After that you will lose the sustain and possibly the string on a deep dive. This is the only way the screw top can hit your string. Your flatlined man! Lol raise em up and shim the neck or countersink the trem (you did good). I am going to add the body to max height measurement to the site. I hope this will save someone some grief.

Wammi

Kahler USA does not want to do this. There are so many guitars out there in every shape and size. They want you to see a luthier. Its a liability thing ya know.

yeah but we build our guitars from the ground up...raw wood to guitar in a few months...know what i mean?we are not retrofitting.

but where would the luthiers you take it to get the info?you kind of have to put it in use to catch the little things,you know?

anyway...i see we are posting over the top of each other.i am going to sleep and tomorrow i am sure you will have my questions answered.i thank you for being so patient...and i really do like the product...i just want to know how to best build my guitar to work with the trem,that's all