Blank Fretboard + 12th Fret Dot/so?

You know how ridiculous that sounds right? How could someone to an inlay at the 12th fret, if the blank is exactly that... blank, not slotted, etc. etc.

And if you actually meant "a slotted board with something at the 12th" the to that I say, why not just order a slotted board and inlay the dot yourself, it's NOT hard.

Chris

PS: Stewmac, Leen Guitar, LMII, Allied Lutherie, and even friends on this forum sell slotted boards. You need to be more specific in what you're asking for. Wood type? And if by blank you did mean slotted, thus allowing someone to know where the 12th fret is... well then they'd need to know what scale too. However, if you REALLY can't inlay a dot or a diamond youself, I MAY be able to help you out, but you're gunna have t explain to me better what you really are looking for.

Chris

+1 to how easy it is, especially a dot. It's just a matter of putting an "X" from corner to corner in order to find the centre of that space, and using the right-sized forstner bit. I had never "inlaid" (to me, only the pure technical use for the word since no skill was involved!) in my life, and I put dots into a complete fretboard. It's about the easiest thing you could do in an entire build.

A diamond wouldn't be too tricky, either.

Greg

Did you use a Forstner? A regular bit might wander or start off-centre.

I forgot to mention, I also hand-pressed a finishing nail into the starting point just to make sure the drill bit got started in the right spot.

I meant blank fretboard as in no inlays in it anywhere already, slotted yes.

I wouldnt take my chance at routing an inlay myself, It would definately scare me too much on messing up, esp since I would like to do Maple, and i heard you can't fill it easily

Another query I had though, Lets say on an Ebony fretboard, normal dot inlays, Would it be possible to cover all the dots, and then inlay something in the 12th fret spot, maybe 11-13, by only removing those 2 frets? Do people do that; Take out 2 frets to inlay one spot, so you dont have to refret the whole guitar?

1- to fill those you'd have to make ebony circles to fill those holes. And then you'd still see it a BIT. Not to mention, to do that, you'd have to take off all the frets ANYWAYS cause you'd have to level those areas too. Ebony boards aren't TOO expensive.

2- maple is very do-able with dots. However, if you REALLY wanna talk business, send me a PM with your phone number, I'll drop you a line and we can figure something out for you.

Chris

PS: Taking out two frets, doing an inlay, and then only refretting that area is a BAD idea. Cause you'll have to level said inlaid area, and since you're not sanding anywhere else, you'll be sanding a slight dip in that part of the fretboard. Meaning you'll have to do ALOT of fret leveling later. And honestly, it would just be a MUCH better idea to just get a new fretboard... they're not THAT expensive.

Edited by verhoevenc

Nick, it's not really much of a risk, if you just want some dots at the 12th fret! Try it out on some scrap (use the technique I mentioned on this thread) and you'll smack yourself for ever thinking it's difficult.

The only part that would invoke any sort of risk is sanding the pearl or clay back down flat with the fingerboard. You don't want to accidentally sand down the fingerboard. The dot inlay part is easy!

Greg