6" Jointers - Jet Vs. Ridgid - Opinions?

Rick500

I'm getting ready to buy a 6" jointer. I've narrowed it down to the Jet JJ-6CSX and the Ridgid JP0610. The two appear to have very similar specs. I can get the Jet for about $360(US), or the Ridgid for $399.

Anyone have experience with or thoughts about either or both of these?

I have a Jet bandsaw and a Ridgid planer, both of which are great tools, so I'm confident buying another tool of either brand.

I've seen the Ridgid in person and it seems solid; haven't seen that particular model Jet yet, but I'm impressed with most of their other stuff.

I can't remark on either of those since I've never used them, but I bought the 6" jointer from Grizzly like 3 months back and am in love with it go far. Joints well, blades cut great (jointed heavy flame maple without a hitch), adjustment is easy and logical as well as assembly, and best of all, it's got a nice price. Two other things that really made me like this is 1- there's a pedal you push down which raises it n a wheel so you can easily move it around the shop if you need, and they also have for sale spiral cutter head upgrades for all their jointers, even the 6". Granted the spiral cutterheads are like $250... but if you ever decide to upgrade/that you need spirals it's still cheaper than buying a whole new jointer, not to mention you can remove it when you dn't need the spirals and not waste those more expensive blades.

Chris

I'm getting ready to buy a 6" jointer. I've narrowed it down to the Jet JJ-6CSX and the Ridgid JP0610. The two appear to have very similar specs. I can get the Jet for about $360(US), or the Ridgid for $399.

Anyone have experience with or thoughts about either or both of these?

I have a Jet bandsaw and a Ridgid planer, both of which are great tools, so I'm confident buying another tool of either brand.

I've seen the Ridgid in person and it seems solid; haven't seen that particular model Jet yet, but I'm impressed with most of their other stuff.

Buy the Jet. It's more upgradeable if you chose. YOU can get a byrd/helix indexable cutter head for it for around $300. These are very usefull if you plan on jointing high figured wood. ie: Quilted, flamed maple or other species or burls. will most definitely help with minimizing tearout.

JUst my .02cents

MK

There are a couple of articles you can probably find on the web. One was recently from the annual tool issue from Fine woodworking and another from Wood mag. They both point to features you may want to compare. I heard rumor that Riggid may be getting out of the woodworking biz which is a potential problem for parts and support unless another company picks up that end of the biz.

Thanks for the comments and links, guys. I read a bunch of stuff tonight and decided to go with the Jet. I'll have to see if I can talk Woodcraft into giving me the 10% off Jet tools discount early... they've got it scheduled for April 14th or something like that.
The 10% is from march 15th until the end of the month in Texas.

mk

I called them to get clarification, and here in Kentucky anyway, there's a sale price for a lot of Jet and Powermatic stuff that's good through April 30th, but the additional 10% off of that price is a one-day-only April 14th sale.

I was going to try to get the 10% off today, but as it turns out, they're backordered anyway. Looks like I'll see what the outlook is on April 14th and either get the Jet then or reconsider the Ridgid.

This may be a bit late. I purchased this exact refurb 6 ''Delta from Tool King and I'am very happy with it. $189 and $8 shipping. Im a sucker for discounted shipping :D -Vinny

http://www.toolking.com/productinfo.aspx?c...p;productid=268

I had one of those little Deltas and I wanted to like it so bad, but had to retun it.

The outfeed was warped and the fence broke the first day.

I really wanted to love it though, great weight, good power, 2 speed, ...

If you score one with good tables, your set.

I wonder if in fact the referbs could be better than the fresh ones off the boat.

Ended up finding a real nice older 6" Craftsman on Craigs List for $125.

It's one of the smaller 36"models so it's not "too" hard to move and it is flat and true:)

If you keep your eyes pealed, there are some good deals pop up on Craigs List.

I need one badly in order to essentially complete my dream shop I've been building up for last 2 years.

I'm very appreciative of the info in this thread AND this fantastic board that's now my home page.

I'm leaning towards Delta for a planer and been kinda wondering about the combo jointer/planers. Good/Bad?

I want to do cabinetry and furniture as well as build a guitar (a first).