Can A Warped Neck Be Fixed?

I got my eye on a Ibanez RG7620 7 string on ebay right now and I only want it for the neck, I have a friend that wants the bridge stuff. The only thing that is stopping me is the neck is warped by the headstock as described by the seller. He claims that clamping it down for a few days would fix it. Anyone have a suggestion or 2?

Edited by Diablo

Well, his opinion about the clamping solution is a bunch of crap. Clamp it for at least 6 months, and maybe it'll do something. But, since he didn't know what he was talking about with that, he might also not know if the neck really has a warp or twist (Ok, maybe he had photos that made it sort of obvious that there is a warp/twist).

Also consider that some builders build their necks with a twist on purpose (I think the method that works is to make the treble side at the nut go down lower and bass side go up higher).

And, if you're dealing with some little 1/32" twist, your best bet is to just level the surface of the fret-board to take care of it (of course I'm taking endless abilities for granted with that statement)

Depending on the warp it may have no effect on what you are doing as you may be able to compensate as you level the board as soapbarstrat mentioned. Sounds as though you may just want to make your own neck! You will need to get the old board off, of course, but it can be tricky not to do any damage to the neck. Check the tutorials, but it usually entails softening the glue through the use of steam or heat and very sloooooowly prying the fret board off. Then you will have to get the glue off of the neck and probably sand it a bit if you've been careful, to make sure the new fit is flat and perfect. Check the truss rod while you're at it, maybe re-glue with silicon and attach the new board with titebond or such. You know the rest after that. Again check the tutorials and/or get a repair book as I am certainly no expert in this area.

it's not that I want to make my own neck, Im an ibanez fanboy at heart and love the 7620 necks and figured if this is gonna be a project might as well get my favorite fingerboard wood and frets. I bought the body from Chris Woods, its Mahogany dual hum, floyd bridge route, controls routed like the Ibanez JPM (yes I'm also a John Petrucci fan). It's gonna be a very interesting project for me thats for sure.

I asked the seller about the neck problem if it's fingerboard or the actual neck and here's his response.

I would say it's more the back of the neck where the the wood from the head meets the wood of the neck, I think it' its bending there.I would say the rose wood looks good along with frets.Trussrod does function. Neck could probaly be straighten if it was clapped down to a straight edge for some time,but I dont know.For the past couple of days when I've had time,I've been trying to put more pictures on,but I've been getting an error 3,so I'm still trying.

it's not that I want to make my own neck, Im an ibanez fanboy at heart and love the 7620 necks and figured if this is gonna be a project might as well get my favorite fingerboard wood and frets. I bought the body from Chris Woods, its Mahogany dual hum, floyd bridge route, controls routed like the Ibanez JPM (yes I'm also a John Petrucci fan). It's gonna be a very interesting project for me thats for sure.

I'd look for the specs of the RG 7620 necks and build one from scratch....you're already gonna change the fretboard and fret the neck, 2 things that are critical in a neck...

I don't plan on doing the fret job I don't have the tools to do that I figured removing and installing the fretboard wouldn't be so tough. I dont have tools to make my own neck either or I'd just build my own. I don't want to have chris woods build me a neck he's pretty backlogged as it is. EKG is hard to get ahold of if at all. Any recommendations? I know where to get specs for the neck also.

Edited by Diablo

Is there someone else doing the fret job? Otherwise I agree with aidlook and eddiewarlock. It seems more work than it may be worth. If you are look at it as a learning experience knowing from the beginning that this project may not turn out well, then go for it. It sounds as though you are trying to convince us , or more likely yourself, that this is a worthwhile project. If that's the case; what have you got to lose except time and some money on wood? But don't believe this is an easy swap job. It is also worth your while to invest in some tools. Acquire them when you need each one so you can spread out the cost and learn the use of each tool. My $.02. Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out.