Learning About Trems

Okay, I'm a trem convert, officially.

I always played hardtails. (Although my SG had such a floppy neck, I often made it sound like it had a trem.)

On a whim, I threw a bigsby on one of the guitars I built. I loved it. I put a jaguar trem on another one, I also loved that. I went back to hardtail for a while, and picked up the bigsby again, and realized I'm basically now a sucker for trem.

Thing is, I don't know jack about them. I never had one until I started building my own guitars. (Well, I had a strat copy, but the trem was basically non-functional, and I eventually had it blocked. And that was my first guitar when I was 14.)

So I want to try a new trem on my new build. The plan at this point is going to be a slightly LP-styled guitar in at least that it has a carved top, but being a scratch build, I think I can work the design around the bridge in a functional fashion with careful planning.

I'd like to have an idea what to look for before I start trying things out. Is there anywhere I can read up about trems, like some reviews or something?

So many of the sound clips are either shredding solos or subtle country stuff, that I don't get a good idea of the unit - since I don't play either of these things.

I like vintagey looks, but I guess I'm not entirely adverse to something super modern looking. (I like lots of flat chrome, which is actually the only reason I put in the jag trem.) I abuse my bigsby and jag and they stay in tune pretty damn well, however - so maybe a modern style trem isn't what I need? I would like a little more downward motion than my bigsby, I guess.

I like the wierd sound of the jag trem, and the behind the bridge-picking and kevin shields strum-while-holding-the-loose-arm thing are fun, but I don't think I need another guitar capable of either of these things.

I like an arm that stays put well (like the bigsby), but is easily movable when need be. I really like the *feel* of the bigsby - it just feels really connected to the strings (which I suppose it is) The only strat trems I've played feel really "loose" and "sloppy" by comparision I didn't like that. My jag trem is a little sloppier feeling than the bigsby, but it seems like it's mostly the arm bending - I'm thinking of picking up a new arm for it. (I guess it's what you get when you pay $15 dollars for a trem) I've been told floyd trems are really touchy. Like the movement of the arm is very small compared to the pitch bend you get. Is this true?

Are there any secrets I should know about any trems? (Like why did I have to find out the hard way that Bigsby's are a pain in the ass to string if you take all the strings off, and even so they aren't a walk in the park?)

I know I should just try out some stuff in the store, and I will - but there seem to be more offerings showing up online that I've not seen on guitars in the store; and there are so many brands of even the generic strat trem. I think I'm leaning in the direction of strat trem, I suppose. Any particular brands I should look at? Anything I should avoid? How similar are the routes on these - if I purchase one am I stuck with that one unless I want to rework the guitar?

I'm sorry my question is so vague - I tried the search, but I'm not having much luck (for precisely that reason - my question is rather vague.) I guess even just some recommendations would be helpful, and then I can see what I can do about trying out those various pieces of hardware.

check out the threads on the trem king and the pinned thread on the kahler system.by what you describe,you may prefer the trem king version...it looks more vintage

or you could go with a wilkinson...they are fairly vintage looking,but are for use with a standad nut(no fine tuners).if a bigsby is staying in tune for you,a wilkinson will too.it sounds like you don't get tha wild...like maybe you just use it for a slight vibrato

Okay, I'm a trem convert, officially.

I always played hardtails. (Although my SG had such a floppy neck, I often made it sound like it had a trem.)

On a whim, I threw a bigsby on one of the guitars I built. I loved it. I put a jaguar trem on another one, I also loved that. I went back to hardtail for a while, and picked up the bigsby again, and realized I'm basically now a sucker for trem.

Thing is, I don't know jack about them. I never had one until I started building my own guitars. (Well, I had a strat copy, but the trem was basically non-functional, and I eventually had it blocked. And that was my first guitar when I was 14.)

So I want to try a new trem on my new build. The plan at this point is going to be a slightly LP-styled guitar in at least that it has a carved top, but being a scratch build, I think I can work the design around the bridge in a functional fashion with careful planning.

I'd like to have an idea what to look for before I start trying things out. Is there anywhere I can read up about trems, like some reviews or something?

So many of the sound clips are either shredding solos or subtle country stuff, that I don't get a good idea of the unit - since I don't play either of these things.

I like vintagey looks, but I guess I'm not entirely adverse to something super modern looking. (I like lots of flat chrome, which is actually the only reason I put in the jag trem.) I abuse my bigsby and jag and they stay in tune pretty damn well, however - so maybe a modern style trem isn't what I need? I would like a little more downward motion than my bigsby, I guess.

I like the wierd sound of the jag trem, and the behind the bridge-picking and kevin shields strum-while-holding-the-loose-arm thing are fun, but I don't think I need another guitar capable of either of these things.

I like an arm that stays put well (like the bigsby), but is easily movable when need be. I really like the *feel* of the bigsby - it just feels really connected to the strings (which I suppose it is) The only strat trems I've played feel really "loose" and "sloppy" by comparision I didn't like that. My jag trem is a little sloppier feeling than the bigsby, but it seems like it's mostly the arm bending - I'm thinking of picking up a new arm for it. (I guess it's what you get when you pay $15 dollars for a trem) I've been told floyd trems are really touchy. Like the movement of the arm is very small compared to the pitch bend you get. Is this true?

Are there any secrets I should know about any trems? (Like why did I have to find out the hard way that Bigsby's are a pain in the ass to string if you take all the strings off, and even so they aren't a walk in the park?)

I know I should just try out some stuff in the store, and I will - but there seem to be more offerings showing up online that I've not seen on guitars in the store; and there are so many brands of even the generic strat trem. I think I'm leaning in the direction of strat trem, I suppose. Any particular brands I should look at? Anything I should avoid? How similar are the routes on these - if I purchase one am I stuck with that one unless I want to rework the guitar?

I'm sorry my question is so vague - I tried the search, but I'm not having much luck (for precisely that reason - my question is rather vague.) I guess even just some recommendations would be helpful, and then I can see what I can do about trying out those various pieces of hardware.

I admit i am a bit biased, but A Kahler trem is a VERY adaptable trem. You have up, down, left, right, in and out on the saddles. (see specs here: http://www.wammiusa.com/Hybrid_specs.html )

It doesn't necessarily look vintage but it technically is (since '82) thats 25 years so it's a a classic i suppose. lol You said you wanted the arm to stay put. The arm clutch does that. See all the features on this install guide here: http://www.wammiusa.com/Installation_guide.html

If you want to hear one live, I will be happy to call you on the phone or better yet...skype or msn you with my PC video camera and give you a E-jam Lol. Privately email me at wammi@wammiusa.com .

I will arrange a showing of the range and sound.

Wammi