Pickup Selection

AXofBSR

I'm doing my first build and I think I've made a couple decisions, but not completely sure yet on what I'm going to do...

I want to incorporate some Brian May inspired tones into my band's music so I've decided to use 2 Burns Trisonic Pickups for neck and mid and I wanna use a humbucker for my bridge so I can get my high-gain tones as well...

Here's some questions...

Which Trisonics are the ones I'm looking for? I found this selection of tri-sonics and I don't know the difference between them...

Also, what 'bucker should I use? I wanna use another Armstrong pickup and the ones on that site are priced nicely in my price range... I was looking at this one...

I do plan on putting a Threeway switch on each pickup... Phase/On/Off for the Trisonics and Split/On/Off for the bucker...

And one more thing... Will mounting these be a problem since I'm back routing and not using a pick guard?

Those Adesons are also less expensive than the Burns reissues. If you gotta have those things, that'd probably be the way to go.

Keep in mind that without a modified vintage VOX Deacy and a few high-dollar Pete Cornish effects, you're better off with regular single-coils and a Digitech Brian May pedal.

Those Adesons are also less expensive than the Burns reissues. If you gotta have those things, that'd probably be the way to go.

Keep in mind that without a modified vintage VOX Deacy and a few high-dollar Pete Cornish effects, you're better off with regular single-coils and a Digitech Brian May pedal.

I want the official ones... to quote Queen's sworn enemy "anything less than the best is a felony"...

Also... May didn't use the Pete Cornish's until after A Day at the Races...

I am working on building a replica of the clean boost pedal that he used... and the main thing is, however, having the pups wired in series and having my neck and mid out of phase...

I don't wanna be a total cop of May, that would be lame... I just wanna use tones that are reminiscent of the man when I solo...

Oh yeah, you know your Brian May history...kudos!

You know what'd be sweet? Put a couple TS's in the bridge position, one RWRP, wire 'em up like a 'bucker!

Is that possible?

Seriously... is it?

Would it sound like a Humbucker would if Kent Made a Trisonic Bucker? (If that made sense)

how are you mounting them, pickguard ? rear routed ?

i had a hell of a time making a 'strat' pickguard for some trisonics (they are a weird shape like / \ so its hard to get the right size) and i couldnt find a template anywhere

Edited by Samba Pa Ti

how are you mounting them, pickguard ? rear routed ?

i had a hell of a time making a 'strat' pickguard for some trisonics (they are a weird shape like / \ so its hard to get the right size) and i couldnt find a template anywhere

Definitely rear routing... Most definitely...

Oh yeah, you know your Brian May history...kudos!

You know what'd be sweet? Put a couple TS's in the bridge position, one RWRP, wire 'em up like a 'bucker!

Is that possible?

Seriously... is it?

Would it sound like a Humbucker would if Kent Made a Trisonic Bucker? (If that made sense)

Give it a shot and let us know! There's no oddly shaped baseplate like regular single coils, so you should be able to butt a couple of 'em right next to each other. You gotta use one regular and one RWRP, but I don't see why it couldn't work.

VOX deacy?

VOX deacy?

No idea..the vox and the deacy were two completely different amps.

slightly o/t, but have you checked out the ROG May Queen pedal? http://runoffgroove.com/mayqueen.html

appears to be a hugely simple build and should help contribute towards the tone somewhat :D

No idea..the vox and the deacy were two completely different amps.

slightly o/t, but have you checked out the ROG May Queen pedal? http://runoffgroove.com/mayqueen.html

appears to be a hugely simple build and should help contribute towards the tone somewhat :D

Vox has a deacy clone now... I might get one and run it in my effects loop but it's looking doubtful right now... also... this is the build I'm doing. The Dallas is the pedal May used through a day at the races... basically the tone I'm looking for mainly came from out of phase trisonics and a trebel boost... so this should do it for me...

(Oh yeah, Burns Trisonics are overwound single coil pickups made by Kent Armstrong... they're described as having more bite than a standard single coil without the harshness of a P90)...

Also... How would I go about wiring those two trisonics into a bucker? I think I may go with a Kent Armstrong humbucker just for cost purposes...

Edited by AXofBSR

The lower output one is going to be the coil closer to the bridge. If you use the other one, you'll have a warmer sound.

Then that's what I'm gonna choose...

-EDIT- I think I've decided to wind my own pups based on the trisonic design....

Edited by AXofBSR