Where To Get Wire In Short Lengths (uk)?

adamcr

Bought a 'mahogany' strat body from them.

Not only was the body under 3.5 lbs (when asked, the people at the shop claimed it was the heaviest strat body they had seen!!), but it was about 5mm thinner than a standard strat body and thus a standard sustainer block stuck out of the back!

The kicker is that I dropped the f**king thing as I was about to repack it and arrange return and the entire neck-heal broke off. So couldn't return it.

Obviously I can't blame them for my butter-fingers, but I'm not going to buy anything from a shop that knowingly sells cr*p and then lies about it's quality (or lack thereof) when questioned.

Bought a 'mahogany' strat body from them.

Not only was the body under 3.5 lbs (when asked, the people at the shop claimed it was the heaviest strat body they had seen!!), but it was about 5mm thinner than a standard strat body and thus a standard sustainer block stuck out of the back!

The kicker is that I dropped the f**king thing as I was about to repack it and arrange return and the entire neck-heal broke off. So couldn't return it.

Obviously I can't blame them for my butter-fingers, but I'm not going to buy anything from a shop that knowingly sells cr*p and then lies about it's quality (or lack thereof) when questioned.

Ahh ive had orders from a few shops that have had missleading descriptions or information about items on them, its a long shot but ebay has some good stuff on it if you look int he right places. :D

The UK is rubbish for guitar parts (or it might just be the northwest were i am)

Edited by wickerwolf

Seems to me that you're overthinking something here!

I just got a spool of wire from Tandy so that I didn't have to fart around looking for short lengths... but I ALSO salvage wire from broken things or cheap things. Saw a microphone at the "Dollar Store" for example that had a long flexible cable and a 1/4" jack. Normally a 1/4" jack goes for $3-5 alone!

I've got a whole box of salvaged crap... sometimes kept for no reason other than, "Oh, look, this uses a 12-pin connector and therefore has 12 different coloured wires!"

You'll hear differently from different people, but you can use almost any kind of wire for wiring a guitar. A few people on PG have used solid-core wire simply because it's easier to bend into place and then solder down. This, despite the scientific fact that a stranded wire has more conductive surface area. It's just not a big issue for an electronics cavity.

Greg

Seems to me that you're overthinking something here!

I just got a spool of wire from Tandy so that I didn't have to fart around looking for short lengths... but I ALSO salvage wire from broken things or cheap things. Saw a microphone at the "Dollar Store" for example that had a long flexible cable and a 1/4" jack. Normally a 1/4" jack goes for $3-5 alone!

I've got a whole box of salvaged crap... sometimes kept for no reason other than, "Oh, look, this uses a 12-pin connector and therefore has 12 different coloured wires!"

You'll hear differently from different people, but you can use almost any kind of wire for wiring a guitar. A few people on PG have used solid-core wire simply because it's easier to bend into place and then solder down. This, despite the scientific fact that a stranded wire has more conductive surface area. It's just not a big issue for an electronics cavity.

Greg

Same here i keep hold of all sorts of junk just to salvage wires or caps from or anythin else that might be usefull,

To Adamcr from the volume pot to the jack is just any single wire, either solid core or threaded core just solder one end to the hot lug on the vol pot and the other to the hot lug on the jack.

A good idea is to go to wilkinsons or an online supplier and buy a rool of bell wire/speaker wire it works perfectly fine in electric guitars, i got a roll of 100 metres for 8 pound :D

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criter...5V&DOY=25m3 is a great pack for pot and switch wires.

http://www.maplin.co.uk are also great stockists for all things electrical from switches to caps and wires etc.

Edited by wickerwolf