Alternate Ways To Do Bindings

what are some alternate ways to do a binding other than using strips of plastic?

i'm trying to do a black binding on a white body.

I was thinking maybe just use a black tape, or paint the binding area black over the primer, then mask the binding area and paint the rest of the body white and peel the masking tape to reveal a black strip.

would either way work well?

what are some alternate ways to do a binding other than using strips of plastic?

I was thinking maybe just use a black tape, or paint the binding area black over the primer, then mask the binding area and paint the rest of the body white and peel the masking tape to reveal a black strip.

I'd say paint is better than tape....but what's wrong with plastic`?

too much work/time consuming and it's my first time doing bindings, second time refinishing. :D

too much work/time consuming and it's my first time doing bindings, second time refinishing. :D

Routing and gluing?...wouldn't take much more time than masking and painting...But that's depending on bodystyle though..

In the end no-one's gonna ask how long it took...they're just gonna see the results.

Routing and gluing?...wouldn't take much more time than masking and painting...But that's depending on bodystyle though..

In the end no-one's gonna ask how long it took...they're just gonna see the results.

true... but if i do it the traditional way i'm gonna have to scrape off the protruding sides and stuff too right? or at least that's how the stewmac tutorial seemed... time consuming and very tedious. since it's only my second time refinishing and first time planning on doing a binding, I don't want to stress it and mess up in the middle.

perhaps I should do a test piece...

You pretty much are just nervous because you have not bound a guitar yet. Done properly binding with platic is a quick clean method. It also provides some deal of edge protection to go along with a cool look. Get a good cutter bit and bearings and a sharp scraper. You will have a new confidense after you do a couple.

Peace,Rich

You pretty much are just nervous because you have not bound a guitar yet. Done properly binding with platic is a quick clean method. It also provides some deal of edge protection to go along with a cool look. Get a good cutter bit and bearings and a sharp scraper. You will have a new confidense after you do a couple.

Peace,Rich

thanks for the encouragement :D

Binding a flat-topped body is easy as pie with the right router bit (rabbet bit, don't necessarily even need a full set), and scraping back plastic binding is fun, quick and easy. Scraping back the paint is a little fiddlier, but really, no more work than you'd have to do with paint. Probably less work, in fact.

Now, if you're talking binding a carved top guitar, there are more complex issues to consider, but slab bodies? Go for it!

I've not attempted any binding yet but not doing something just because it seems like a lot of work seems like the wrong attitude to have when building an instrument. Sure, some things are a bit tedious but you'll have much more satifaction from a slowly built, well made guitar than you will from a guitar that isn't as good as it could be. You might save a few days here & there but you've got to live with your choices for much longer afterwards.

true... but if i do it the traditional way i'm gonna have to scrape off the protruding sides and stuff too right? or at least that's how the stewmac tutorial seemed... time consuming and very tedious. since it's only my second time refinishing and first time planning on doing a binding, I don't want to stress it and mess up in the middle.

perhaps I should do a test piece...

You won't learn how to do a real binding by painting one...so if you don't do it this time, next time will be your first instead. I'd say go for it, it'll look better and you'll learn something new.

Binding a flat-topped body is easy as pie with the right router bit (rabbet bit, don't necessarily even need a full set), and scraping back plastic binding is fun, quick and easy. Scraping back the paint is a little fiddlier, but really, no more work than you'd have to do with paint. Probably less work, in fact.

Now, if you're talking binding a carved top guitar, there are more complex issues to consider, but slab bodies? Go for it!

Mattia is right. You wouldn't need one of those full sets of bearings. Just pick up the size(or sizes) you believe you will want to use for your prefered binding thickness.

Plastic is very forgiving, and is a great material for binding. It does not require as much pre-bending as wood, it scrapes very fast and clean.

As far as a curvy top. you do need to set up your router base so that it indexes a smaller surface, and that requires a little jig to help you maintaing your router alignment. Sounds tricky but not really.

After you take a shot at the process with the right tools. You will think it is a quick simple task that is really fun and opens doors to get creative new looks(maybe even some purflings and more elaborite layups).

To make sure your tools are set just right(after your router bit and bearing is selected). Do a quick test on a scrap board, and set your binding in place. I think you will see just how close you can get the fit(and routers will give you great consistent results). At that point you won't even think twice about that tiny bit of scraping, as it will require you to remove almost no material but looks so tight and clean.

Give it a shot(that goes for everyone who is hesitating to try it out). I think many fellas don't realise just how capable they are of doing these things(and doing them very well). You won't regret it.

Peace,Rich