Wood Cutting

Hi all, I have done a few search and did found what I was looking for but no one answered this question : Should I do the body cutting my self or by a luthier ? This is going to be the first time and really dont want to ruin it. And one more question my guitar is going to be neck through do I just take the center wood piece till the head stock or do I make it in like 3 pieces? Can anyone make me a drawing of the wood pieces in a flying v neckthru? Ty

I'll give the standard response....buy Melvyn Hiscock's Make your own electric guitar book & read it from start to finish, go through the tutorial page of the main PG site: http://www.projectguitar.com/menu/tutorial.htm & then ask any questions.

A neck through is usually made from at least 3 pieces of wood - neck & 2x body "wings".

As for whether to make it yourself or get a pro to do it....this isn't www.get-someone-to-make-a-guitar-for-you.com. That decision is completely up to you. If, after going through the book & the tutorials, you don't feel confident with making a guitar yourself then you'll have to consider other options. A custom made guitar can cost you much more than an off-the-shelf one whether you make it yourself or get a luthier to make it...but paying someone else will be much more expensive & far less rewarding in the end.

Dude, that book is the bible to axe crafters. No matter what style of guitar, which hand you favor, what music you play, the book teaches the basics and is applicable to all builds. No one here is going to spoon feed you so you should just listen to them. I have learned so much from this forum it's mind numbing. Do the work and your results will be better than you could have imagined. Stick around and take advice and you WILL learn how to build and how to keep getting better.

Peace...Rog

Ty but I just bought it from amazon it should arrive april 11-18 :D cant wait to see that book. Next step : Buying my ESP Alexi Laiho template left handed neckthrough floyd rose for 25$ + S/H if shipped in us its 20$ if anyone needs any model of guitar pm me I can give you the website and the guy's email he sends previews and stuff but non printable ones he can customize anything from a 4pickup guitar to a mocking bird 30fret he is a genius he does everything :D for cheap

...why would you post No comment! ? :D I mean I just want to know what is the saffest online store I usually buy tickets but that's all... is their a website for that guy and I can by it directly?

My apologies, had a bad day. Also didn't mean to double post. but it only comes paperback. Try amazon as others have stated. My son lives in Canada and purchases from them all the time.

Have a nice day.

Mike

I've seen it at major booksellers as well, and most of them (barne's and noble, border's, or what have you - I don't know the name of the shops north of the border) can probably order it for you if they don't have it.

Can always check your local library as well - that's where I originally read the book.