Spokeshave Trouble

jtmullet

Hellow a while back I purchased a stanlial on the ey spokeshave lick like the one seen in the neck tutorial on the page and I have ben able to use it with much success everytime it just makes short gouges as aposed to long shaves like I have seen in pics and videos I have sharpened it numerus times and have gone through a wide range of depth setings.

You might be cutting against the grain rather than with it? I've not used a spokeshave for years & can't offer much advice but using most tools against the grain can cause them to dig in. It is especially difficult with heavily figured woods like quilted maple as the grain changes direction so much. I used spokeshaves, rasps & scrapers.

I love working with my spokeshave.

how are you sharping it. it might just need a little different angle on the cutting blade.

they will work the best when they are vary sharp.

I have good results when I set for a light cut.

Well I have ben having my dad sharpening it because he is a very avid knife collector and he has ben using a wetstone.

I love working with my spokeshave.

how are you sharping it. it might just need a little different angle on the cutting blade.

they will work the best when they are vary sharp.

I have good results when I set for a light cut.

Well I have ben having my dad sharpening it because he is a very avid knife collector and he has ben using a wetstone.

What type of wood? what angle is it being sharpened to and define sharp? what depth of cut are you setting it at? and how? All of these things determine whether you get chatter/chipout or nice curls. Many variables here. A well tuned Spokeshave wil yeild great results, one that's not will result in frustration and damaged wood. May I suugest you look into some woodworking websites/books for more detail on the nuances of hand tools and tuneing them to suit the job the at hand.

website?

anotherwebsite

Scary sharp

These may help.

mk