New 8-string From Scratch

Ok now Ive got the bridge on and now Im ready to start the electronics cavity but ive been thinking about how to set in the batteries and I dont think I want a box I just want to mount them in the cavity like this http://alembic.com/club/messages/393/10521.jpg

but I want to hold them in place on this bass they look as if there siting free and I dont like that at all, any ideas

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I screw these into the electronics cavity... you don't even need a seperate cavity if the control cavity is big enough

clip for batteries on the side

clip for laying batteries flat

AH YES!!! thats exactly what I needed thanks man

Now I have tons of sanding to do on this body!! I love and hate purple heart

IMG_1821.jpg

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

Are you going to radius the fretboard or you leaving it flat?

Thats something Im not sure on yet realy if I do a radius it it wount be much

Tell me how the Stability / Rigidity works with the Flat sawn neck when you set it up.

Well i just build necks the way I learnd at lgm, Ive never had any problems with stability :D

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey bro,

Wow... Nice... Fantastic lines on the body...

Tagua? never heard of it, but looks fantastic and is, more importantly, Environmentally friendly! Ill have to try it. Whats the tonal properties of it? Do you know?

I'm not sure about the scale length. As I said to you once before, Doug at Black Machine thinks anything shorter then 30 inches is going to play havoc with the intonation of a .70 bass string tuned to F or F# over a 27 3/4 scale length,. Still, Ill be interested in seeing how it turns out. if it is a problem, Perhaps you can tune everything up one step to a C based tuning (Carcass do!) if it does give trouble at that length, but we will see!

Still, it looks amazing from here. Cant wait to see this one finished Matt. Still loving your stuff!

• 3 weeks later...

Well for now Im not happy with the color on this body, the purpleheart is just lame and not the look im wanting so I'll start the body over with this figerd walnut for a top IMG_2000.jpg

for now this build is on the back buner, but I do have 2 designs that im working on that are just a few steps behind this one

I'll start a new thread and show them off

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

Sorry

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

Ok Im willing to reopen this build, I still hate the color and looks of the wood but the design is still strong in my mind. I think my dislike of a few things on this build is whats really holding me back on it. the first big one is the wood. Im not a big fan of it, next Im not happy with where I routed for the pickup, I wanted a centerd look with the large spike on the fret board and I feel that it may have backfired on me becauce Im unsure now of the looks and the sound its going to put out.

when I first set the bridge on with tape I thought it looked a bit to close than i placed it and I did like how it looked. but once I went to mount it I checked the scale and I taped it to the body in the wroung spot :D

what do you guys think, how does this look

IMG_2067.jpg

me I dont like it, so I want to start over with a new body, and we all know how fast I can pull a body off

I could plane this body down and glue the walnut on, I REALLY REALLY want to start over on this build after makeing a mistake like that!!!

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

It's your build, Matt... you don't have to beg for permission to stop building it just because a few people on the forum are frustrated by the fact that you haven't finished any of your last few projects.

That said, I don't see any reason to stop. If you don't like the purpleheart, then paint it a solid color. If you don't like the pickup location, then move it.

Edited by fookgub

I'm not quite sure what you were speaking about with the bridge and pick up distances. If in that picture it is in the proper spot, I think it looks great. How did you want it exactly? It doesn't seem like you could place it that much closer to the fretboard and moving it down just puts it up against the bridge. I think its fairly well centered between the two in the pic you posted, but like I said, I probably am not understanding what you were going for. Anyhow, I think it looks great. What you can do is finish it without any UV protection and let it get plenty of light, in no time flat that purple will fade out to a darker brown ; ) Well best of luck matt, whether you finish or not, it was a sick project. J

I think it looks awesome, but I don't know what the measurement issues are.

I heard somewhere in another thread here that Purpleheart doesn't really stay "purple" over time anyhow, so I don't think that the colour purple should be a problem...? Or am I insane and imagining things?

It fades as its UV sensitive. You can help preserve it by using some UV protective finish, though I don't know that will stop it or just greatly slow it down. I've seen a counter top of some 15-20 years old purpleheart I believe and it has faded pretty good under some indoor lights. I still believe there was some purple in it as it was like a burgandy brown almost, but darker. Tough to describe, but it looked far from what you normally see. Aside from finishing without UV, you could always tint your finish so that it looked more red or just darker or something. I dunno, I think it looks great with purpleheart, I wonder if the metal forums called him a wuss because of the purple, lol, jk matt. It looks good and hope to see it finished. Its reminded me to pull out my chunk of purpleheart and start dulling my blades with it, I got a cool idea in my head for it and I'm gonna name it the pheart guitar. I wrote that abbreviation a long while back without even knowing how funny it was until someone pointed it out. J

Matt,I don't see the problem...I think by far this is the best aesthetically of your body designs,and I think it is the only one that will balance correctly.You really should not try to place the pickup for looks,you should place it for the tone you want...I think where you have it will give a good bottom end while still staying fairly sharp on the attack,so I would stick with it.I would have even put it closer to the bridge,personally...but I like a razor sharp attack.

Well wes I try to keep all my single Hum guitars clean and this is the lonest scale if worked with in a long time, so most of my pickups stay nice and close to the bridge giveing me a ton of highs

and in my mind pickup placement does play a role in the looks of a design as well as the sound, this is the first guitar that ive tryed a more centerd placement and I did not like the looks of it, and its still going to have to grow on me

Ok so Ive decided to finish this build, I really do like the design but hate the wood, so if any one has any ideas for some cool purpleheart finishes toss them up :D

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!