New 8-string From Scratch

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

obviously if you do a solid finish the colour of the purpleheart really wont matter. Personally i would go for an oil and wax finish because its easier and cheaper it you dont have the spraying capabilities at the moment. The oil will kill quite a bit of the colour in the purpleheart anyway so so it will come up more of a burgundy brown tone that might be quite nice and still look like a good :D METAL :D workhorse guitar

satin black would look great though. Maybe do a black stain with a wax finish

got any scraps to test on??

Solid gloss black.cover up that ugly wood...please. :D

Or maybe urban camo \M/

I vote flip-flop... like this: http://alsacorp.com/products/spectrafx/spe...fx_prodinfo.htm. Alsa sells it in cans now. Talk about easy!

Edited by fookgub

/

and in my mind pickup placement does play a role in the looks of a design as well as the sound, this is the first guitar that ive tryed a more centerd placement and I did not like the looks of it, and its still going to have to grow on me

I tried the same thing on one the longhorns I built --put the p90 closer to center (because that way it was fitted against the end of the neck). But it just lost all the high-end sparkle because of that. Picks up the sustain just fine, but loses the resonance.

In fact, I'm getting ready to route a swimming pool there and put in different single coils (either strat-type or lipsticks) instead, get me closer to the sound I want. I'm just trying to decide if I want to do this with a pickguard or add a cap to it.

Well I tryed searching and I cant seem to find any thing on oil finishs and stains/dyes I have A really nice deep red dye that I used on this body 111Cayleguitar10101.jpg

Any one have any info on dyed oil finishs

Any one have any info on dyed oil finishs

I have used stain and Tru-Oil before. Just stain like normal and finish it like normal. If you want to see some samples check out Ken Bebensee. He does some great stain work and all his finishes are oil as far as I know.

Nice looking axe, by the way!

~David

Ok Im willing to reopen this build, I still hate the color and looks of the wood but the design is still strong in my mind.

I have to wonder why you would use putpleheart... it's a very hard heavy wood... and purple. I'd never use it for a body.

You do realize it will darken up as it oxidizes? Also it will be much darker with a finish on it. I use purpleheard for body and neck laminates all the time. Also if you put some danish oil on the wood before you finish it it will make the purpleheart much darker.

You can see the purpleheart lamination is much darker here. This bass was made in '94.

DSC02731.jpg

Edited by David Schwab

Man i really dig the body style on that sucker :D i personally like purpleheart, im using it for the Fretboard on my brothers 7 string im buidling. BUt its your build you should do what you want. Also if you can get the chance i need some info for my 8 string im building tuned for F# B E A D G B E pickup wise and string gauge wise. IT'd be very helpful thanks :D

Bass-Man43

Ok I really just cant do this!! knowing that the pickup placement is going to sound like mud is bad enough, Im not wasteing parts on a body thats flawd and that I will NEVER like the sound of, I do agree that this is a good design and I can see that but this is really one I need to take what Ive learnd and start again I will not center mount my pickups or use wood that Im not happy with from the start

If this was any one else like Drak it would Fine with you guys, well most of you guys :D

now where I go from here is a mater of choice, MY choice at this time is to build this one IMG_2033.jpg

Now some of the reasons for me wanting to go with this build are that its an alder body with a limited amout of sanding to be done. I also have all the Jigs and templates needed to do all my body routs is a day, I am also Realy big on this design I know most on this forum are not sure about it or they dont like it BUT I see something in it that I want to bring to life

there is still hope for this body I could build a new neck with a scale that will bring the bridge closer to the pickup, any way this design will be build at some point and I will start it again

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

Up to you,but considering the body is such a dense wood,the pickup placement may be a blessing.What do you care anyway?all of your guitars are bolt on,so you can easily swith hardware and neck to a different body later if you don't like it.

Drak's reasons always make sense when he trashes a body.I am just not sure yours do.

Well you know what man IT LOOKS LIKE S@#IT and I know I can do better and with the pickup mounted like this Im just haveing a hard time with it you know, Im just not really happy with it

Or maybe you are a serial unfinisher

HAHAHAHA thanks for makeing my day wes :D

Something doesn't add up in the reason given though,I just think there is something else you aren't saying

there was a time I loved purpleheart, now I know a few reasons as to why it SUCKS, and the pickup thing pisses me off as well

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

Up to you,but considering the body is such a dense wood,the pickup placement may be a blessing.

I completely agree with this!!

I think its worth finishing because you will learn more finsihing a guitar and solving the problems than you will abandoning it. If you aint happy you can reuse all the parts anyway. If you are unhappy at that point i see no problem with destroying it but you dont know that it wont be great yet!!

I think you are nearly at the finish line so its worth a few more hours to finish, if you had only just started and it had all gone wrong i would be more inclined to trash it

Well, I got a PM and decided to close this up... it is the thread starter decision what he does with his guitar anyway. I understand that WE all want Matt to finish a freaking guitar and get the SERIAL UNFINISHER tittle out of his back. Hopefully he will come back with a great body next time!!!