Make Your Own Electric Guitar Theft.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would most likely show up in the newsgroups , maybe alt.binaries.e-book.technical, a.b.guitar.builders, a.b.guitar.tab etc. binary ng's. Will let you know if it pops up, nothing so far. There might be alittle lemonade in this for ya, who knows! could increase sales! There is no substitue for the hard copy when dealing with instructional , step by step information. Maybe if someone downloads it they can get a preview, see how good it is, then go out and buy themselves a copy.

Sorry to hear. I haven't seen any e-books yet, but I will also keep an eye out. That book is a complete bargain -- the most bang-for-the-buck tool you will buy in this craft. The "everything for free" mentality these days really pisses me off.

I seen a couple post on this topic about illegal music download wich I disproove to but I also aprove in a certain form, see it this way.

Say your friend told you about a band and he say's you should check it out well you don't want to by the album since you don't know if it is a waste of money. So then the person just goes to a downloader thing (like napster) wich before you didn't had to pay and download 1 or 2 song if you like go by the album. If not delete them, but people don't use is this way so it's retarted but as far as a illegal book... comon *** will people sell illegal chips and coca cola in a few years? This book is considered as the BIBLE to guitar builder, would you steal the bible on the internet? no? why not? then get 24$ and you get 300 pages (about) shipping/handeling and I bet that Melvyn dosnt even make 20$ of that 24$ and this is his way of living so they should stop stealing and start buying. Like everyone say's : If you dont have 24$ to buy a book then you don't have $ to make a guitar

Please if you will,don,t use the word retarded flippantly.Thanks Rich :D .Sorry about the theft Mr Hiscock we will be ever vigilant

I seen a couple post on this topic about illegal music download wich I disproove to but I also aprove in a certain form, see it this way.

Say your friend told you about a band and he say's you should check it out well you don't want to by the album since you don't know if it is a waste of money. So then the person just goes to a downloader thing (like napster) wich before you didn't had to pay and download 1 or 2 song if you like go by the album. If not delete them, but people don't use is this way so it's retarted but as far as a illegal book... comon *** will people sell illegal chips and coca cola in a few years? This book is considered as the BIBLE to guitar builder, would you steal the bible on the internet? no? why not? then get 24$ and you get 300 pages (about) shipping/handeling and I bet that Melvyn dosnt even make 20$ of that 24$ and this is his way of living so they should stop stealing and start buying. Like everyone say's : If you dont have 24$ to buy a book then you don't have $ to make a guitar

Please if you will,don,t use the word retarded flippantly.Thanks Rich :D .Sorry about the theft Mr Hiscock we will be ever vigilant

+1 Wood,

And Melvyn, I'll let you know if I see or come across anything as well.

MIke

Sorry, my english is not so great I havent speakin it in a while... My main language is french :D So I guess that if you spoked french you would do the same ammount of error. B)

If it's any consolation, Melvin, I actually have two legitimately purchased copies of your book! I bought the first version about ten years ago, and recently decided I needed a copy with less sawdust caked between the pages, so I got the new version as well.

I'll also be vigilant on your behalf!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello there Mr. Hiscock I know this thread is a few months old but have you ever thought about getting your book in High Res PDF format and selling it directly from a web site? It would generate a lot more direct profit as there would not be any production costs.

On the other hand it would make it easier to illegally distribute it over the web too :D but it is an option many people are using nowadays. I bought your book not too long ago and it truly was a blessing as at 40 yrs old I just started working in a custom guitar /repair shop and I also started building a guitar for my son and this knowledge is hard to come by.

Thanks for your dedication and efforts in teaching us all B) . If you ever drop by Madrid, Spain the BarBQ and wine are on me :D

It has come to my attention that copies of my book are being made available as an e-book.

Some people may not see why this is an issue but let me explain.

There were no books available when I learned to make guitars and so I had to learn the hard way. I have spent huge amounts of money learning to do what I do and the results were published first in 1986. It first came out on Blandford Press in 1986 and my yearly royalty was not enough to buy a decent guitar and was never more than £1,000 despite the book selling in huge numbers. I have also answered hundreds, if not thousands, of questions from people who have read the book and none of that time was paid for by anyone other than me. However, I do this happily as I can remember when I was in exactly the same position but with no one to ask.

In 1998 the current edition came out and I am the publisher. For me to set this up I had to get a major loan and put my house as security. I have so far spent several years actually working on the book, invested a huge amount of money and my returns are still not exactly huge. I have considered selling NBS Publications a few times as it is not a profitable business. I am now having to invest money again (money I don't have and have to borrow) to build the company up. There will be some more books out on NBS Publications next year but in the meantime I am having to work very long hours which I am not, at the moment, getting paid for.

Make Your Own Electric Guitar costs about the same as a pretty average guitar pickup. If you are going to make a guitar it is about the cheapest part of the whole process, and the cost of the book has not gone up since it was released. All the increases in paper costs, transport (which I have to cover for trade orders) and storage have all been absorbed by me. It also has thirty years of my life, from learning what I do to te present, wrapped up in it and all the information you need to stop you making some of the mistakes I did in my early years, each one of which will have cost you more than the cost of the book. If you do not think that an investment like that deserves the small return I get then you are not living in the real world.

E-copies are illegal and I will take action against anyone selling or offering them. They are a breach of copyright which is covered in most countries.

If you have any information on copies that may be for sale please do not hesitate to contact me with the details.

Melvyn Hiscock

melvyn@melvynhiscock.com

I'm very sorry to hear that Sir.

I will certainly keep my eyes open for you too and report here. Part of my day job invovles copyright, so I know where you are coming from.

By the way, I just ordered and OFFICIAL copy a few days ago. Can't wait to read it. THANK YOU for putting it together.

All the best, Paul

Melvyn, the problem you're talking about it's real. But I didn't see ilegal copies of your book on the net, i just only saw the Kotch one.

I think that the price of the book it's pertty ok, considering that a lutherie class costs a lot more plus the materials to build.

Frank.

Most informative book I've ever read. I thank you for taking the time to create this excellent source of guitar building information.

It's despicable that people would copy and distribute this book illegally. You deserve a massive amount of credit for making the book, and every builder out there from the novice to expert should have it to rely on.

Thanks again Melvyn.

Melvyn,

I want to add my thanks for this incredible book. I have purchased my own copy of it and I reference it on a continual basis! I urge anyone who is really interested in building their own guitar to purchase this book as it truly is a bible of information.

I agree with post from PTU 7's. I have not seen your book anywhere as an ebook, just the Kotch one. If I do see it being offered someplace I will let you know!

Hi Melvyn,

I have seen your book in Emule P2P Net as e-book coming from several nods.

I have to be honest that I used Emule sometimes to download some things..

I live in Argentina and let me tell you that here (as many other countries) is not very easy to BUY a book or CD music or whatever because you have all the restrictions you can imagine.(credit cards, shippings, custom issues, goods stealing, etc) And if you can surpass those restrictions you have to pay a fortune for it (currency Devaluations). thats discouraging to buy something coming from another country.

I didnt have a credit card (its not easy to get a card here) and I couldnt really get your book from any store here in Argentina and beleive me that I even beg some stores to tell me if they could bring it from USA to me..and they never even tell me how much it would cost coz they didnt care..

About ordering from internet we have some important problems with customs here coz sometimes they steal goods coming from another countries and when you ask of course they tell you that they dont know nothing about it..or sometimes you have to go to custom to get it and pay a bribe to get it. It a big risk to order something, pay for it 5 more times what you people pay for it, and dont know if you are gonna get it anyways.

I only told you this because I think this is not a problem from Argentina only and I think that is the reason why so many people have to download from internet without paying for it. (but yes, not all the people do it for the same reasons).

I know that this not justify the act of download ilegal copies of copyrighted products but I think this is A reason why so many people do this.

However, I didnt know your book until I entered to this forum.. There was hundreds of helpful people here that told me to buy that book coz was very good one to start on it. So I saw the price of it in Amazon and I knew the risk on the horizon.

Finally could get a friend´s credit card and bought it from amazon with also the Martin Koch one. I dont remember exactly now but I think I ended up paying $100 US.- (for me is like if you would pay $300.- you know devaluations ).. The books arrived home without problems. :D

The main reason why I bought it was because it was a fair and good price.. so knowing your effort to do it (thanks to PG guys:)) even knowing that I have the possibility to download it from internet and Without traversing risks I decided to buy it anyway.

Sometimes you try to do things in a correct way although sometimes its not enough.

Thanks,

Demian.