Laminate Tops And Their Affect Upon Sound

Seriously, how much does a laminate top (LP's Maple on Mahogany) affect the sound of a guitar? The SG and Strat have one-piece construction, but I tend to not like them.

The reason I'm so interested in this topic is because of this body style: http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/bodies/wgd.cfm. It only comes in one-piece or a laminate of the same wood. What will that do? Will it still get the complex tone of a LP?

Thanks Ya'll

SF on PRS

It only comes in one-piece or a laminate of the same wood.

I'm not an expert on Warmoth, but I think you may have misread the site (or I am mis-interpreting what you said). The top doesn't have to be the same wood. You can still get a mahogany body with a maple top in that body style. That doesn't mean it will sound exactly like a Les Paul though, since the top would be thinner (according to the site, 1/8", practically a veneer!), and the overall thickness would be less. Plus there's the scale length, hardware, pickups, and a thousand other factors to take into account. I'd recommend calling Warmoth; from what I've heard they can be very helpful.

On a side note- in case you're not aware, the GD in WGD stands for Grateful Dead (the shape is based on Jerry Garcia's guitar). I only say that because there are a lot of GD haters out there, and if you are one of them, you may want to take that into account when making your choice.

Good luck