Talkbox Wiring

ebenezer shred

I'm going to be making my own talkbox soon but i need some help. all it's going to be is a horn driver going to an on/off switch going to an input 1/4 jack. three things i need to know are, what kind of switch would i need, how would i wire it, and would the input jack have to be mono or stereo. thanks in advance

-shred

I'm going to be making my own talkbox soon but i need some help. all it's going to be is a horn driver going to an on/off switch going to an input 1/4 jack. three things i need to know are, what kind of switch would i need, how would i wire it, and would the input jack have to be mono or stereo. thanks in advance

-shred

http://www.blamepro.com/talkbox.htm

where are you going to be putting the effect ?

most effects ive seen go in between the guitar/amp or in the effect loop, wouldnt this need some amp modifications before it would work ?

a modified clone of the danelectro one might be your best bet http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dan...p;CJPID=1350534

Edited by Samba Pa Ti

A traditional talkbox (used by Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck among others) replaces the original speaker in the amp. So you need some type of A/B box. You go from the amps speaker out to the AB box, then from A to the amps original speaker and from B to the driver. Then you will have to have the tube in your mouth and have your mouth in close proximity to a microphone connected to the PA-system. To get a better sound I have heard that Jeff Beck mounted a 2-3” piece of PVC tube to the driver and then plugged a cork with a small hole into the other end. He then fed the hose into that small hose.

Don’t get confused with the Dan-o type talkboxes. They have an internal small amp that drives the driver. They also have, if I remember correct, some input for a microphone, or an integrated microphone or something like that. That microphone is plugged in the free speech box and the signal is amplified to “normal guitar effects box level” and sent to the next box or amp or whatever.

^i know all i need to know about talkboxes, for the last time, all i want to know is if i'm running a horn driver (just like a speaker) to an input jack, would a dpst switch be good for it as an on/off switch?

No you don’t and there is no need to be un-polite. All your posts suggest that you do not have full knowledge about the way a talkbox works. You don’t connect a horn driver to some input jack. You need to connect it to the main amp out. The type of talkbox that are referred to in the link is a ready made talkbox that have a ordinary DPDT type of true bypass switch built in (as in a good stop box) to be able to connect it “in series” between a amp head and the speaker cabinet (not electrically in series, only cable-wise in series). It can never be connected in an efx loop if you are using an ordinary horn driver. You can use whatever double pole switch you want. You actually only need to switch one of the leads to direct the signal to either the cabinet or the talkbox. Or as I said earlier use a readymade A/B box that are designed to be used for switching between cabinets for a change in tone.

Here you go. An extremly detailed and complicated wiring diagram

talkbox.jpg

^sorry, i didn't mean to be rude. but the way i'm setting up the talkbox is that i have a modified combo amp which speaker wires run to a jack instead of the speaker. i'm running a cable from that to the input jack on the talkbox i'll be building. i know this method works because that's how mine's set up now (it's just a ghetto talkbox built out of a crappy computer speaker). This method is working for me with no problems, i just want a higher quality talkbox to get better sound out of it.

If the diagram didn’t answer your questions I’m not really sure what you need. What functionality are you looking for?

And I re-read my last post. It came out a bit hars too...sorry :D

Edited by SwedishLuthier