Variax Transplants

I'm actually about to start building one, unlike most of the 'transplants' I've seen I'll be using the electric's from the 300 model, so it will be front routed with a scratchplate. The electric's are the same on all the models of course but the 300's are mounted inside a metal casing, although apparently it is possible to free the 300 electric's from the casing without to much hassle.

Now that it's been a few years since the variax came out is there any way to get ahold of the electronics for a decent price?

I've always wanted to do one of these but I don't want to spend $500+ for a guitar just to throw the guitar away and take the electronics out of it :D

Scitscat Music has a variax 300 for sale $280. I just bought one from guitar centers for $300. I've got a transplant in the works.

Now that it's been a few years since the variax came out is there any way to get ahold of the electronics for a decent price?

I've always wanted to do one of these but I don't want to spend $500+ for a guitar just to throw the guitar away and take the electronics out of it :D

Scitscat Music has a variax 300 for sale $280. I just bought one from guitar centers for $300. I've got a transplant in the works.

I really should move to the USA B) I just paid £250 ($500) for my 300 over here :D

I really should move to the USA B) I just paid £250 ($500) for my 300 over here :D

Yeah it's a killer for any musician on the other side of the drink.

I'm actually about to start building one, unlike most of the 'transplants' I've seen I'll be using the electric's from the 300 model, so it will be front routed with a scratchplate. The electric's are the same on all the models of course but the 300's are mounted inside a metal casing, although apparently it is possible to free the 300 electric's from the casing without to much hassle.

I've got a transplant in the works, too. I'm using the guts from a lefty 500 that I got on the 'bay. Mine is going to be a front-routed strat-style guitar. What are you planning to do about the batteries? I really don't like the "compartment" on the Variaxes, so I'm thinking about leaving it off, or maybe installing a regular 9V battery box "for emergency use only."

I've got a transplant in the works, too. I'm using the guts from a lefty 500 that I got on the 'bay. Mine is going to be a front-routed strat-style guitar. What are you planning to do about the batteries? I really don't like the "compartment" on the Variaxes, so I'm thinking about leaving it off, or maybe installing a regular 9V battery box "for emergency use only."

I’m am building a PRS and I am not going to install a battery in the guitar. I have a Vetta with the VDI input. The variax will get the power from that. The ¼” output jack will be used for the passive pickups only so I will be able to use both the ¼” and VDI cable together. I’ve been toying with idea of either an A/B switch or a Blend Pot on the guitar. I really want to keep the knobs down to a minium so I am going to use dual pots and a 4 pole 5 way selector switch. I haven't pulled the doner guitar apart yet. I am not sure what resistance the pots are. If they are not 500K I will have to get creative.

I have a Pod XT Live with the VDI input so power isn't a problem for me personally but I'll probably still have a battery compartment on mine anyway. I'm going to stick with using the AA batteries rather than a single 9-volt, but I'm instead of using the Line 6 battery box I'll make my own, which be a lot smaller, the Line 6 one is much bigger than necessary IMO.

The XT Live is the best invention ever :D ...With the very possible exception of the Vetta II, haha

I got scared for a second, though, when I clicked on the link, because I saw the transplants and though "Oh that's just too bad, he'll have to use the #(*% fixed bridge or the (#&! trem bridge." And apparently neither is the case, and I didn't know that.

That's pretty cool :D If, like others have mentioned, it's not a big deal to buy a guitar and throw away almost everything in it. Hell, I'm still trying to scrounge up 50 or so extra bucks for neck wood this summer.

I couldn't find any videos of builds or specifically showcasing the variax transplants...

However, in his "Licks" section, he's got some tasty country open-string hammer/pull licks and tab to go with... Maybe if I practiced for 2 years I'd be able to play those at that speed with that cleanliness. <laff>