Emg Switching Options Dilemna

GregP

I'm doing some preliminary research because... well, I'm just that kind of guy.

I'm considering a guitar with 89/SA/89 combo from EMG. Ideally, I would like one switch to put both 89's into single-coil mode. As some of you know, an 89 essentially contains 2 separate pickups in one housing-- an SA single-coil, and a humbucker that is similar to an 85. Even the wiring treats them as separate pickups, and they SHARE the same preamp, meaning that the two pickups within the one housing/casing can never be used in combination. (or, the pickup can't be used in combination with itself, if that makes more sense)

Switching them between modes individually is trivial. But EMG assures me that there's "no way" to 'split' (not really split, but I'll use that term henceforth) both pickups at the same time with the same switch. I suspect they just haven't considered all the possible switches out there and are assuming that people will only have access to or will only purchase a DPDT switch (or use one on a push/pull knob). I suspect there's SOME way to do it, even if you use an unexpected switching system... for example, an LP 3-way toggle and a strat-style 5-way (or even 4 pole 5 position if needed).

Ideally, though, I'd like it to be a 2-way switch (think of it as humbucker mode, or single-coil mode) and then a 5-way blade. One of the Steinberger original lines had ONE mini-switch to split both coils, but I can't find any literature describing whether they're both split at once, and if it's a 2-position or 3-position switch.

If anybody has any ideas or insight, it'd be appreciated, though in the interest of full disclosure-- I AM primarily just researching the possibilities right now.... more compulsion and curiousity than putting action into motion.

Greg

Switching them between modes individually is trivial. But EMG assures me that there's "no way" to 'split' (not really split, but I'll use that term henceforth) both pickups at the same time with the same switch.

Hmmm....

OK...so assuming that a DPDT switch will split one pickup, a 4PDT switch will simultaneously both. I had to use sucha switch for my sustainer and while twice the size of a mini switch below, it looks identical to a mini toggle above...

I suspect that this would do the trick if I am reading what you are trying to do correctly...switch between a humbucking of single coil mode for both pickups with one switch...

Yup, that's what I want to do. That's pretty much all there is to it? Source a "4PDT" mini-switch? I have to say... I went back and forth with EMG about a few issues (including trying to put together some piezo-related parts) and they've been very unhelpful. One tech sent some of his personal wiring diagrams for a different option I had in mind (89/89 with a 4P 5-way switch) but that was about it. I think they're content to just keep making money off their corporate sales... not much attention paid to the little guy.