Zero Frets

I'm considering trying a zero fret in a future bass build, but have not experience with them at all really. The main reason I want to use one is to even out the tone between open notes and fretted notes. A very simple intention.

A few things have come to mind before I jump in here. Firstly, what kind of pressure should the string have on a zero fret? If the headstock is angled, should the string break over the fret by a few degrees, run over the nut and continue as normal or should it have a slight pressure similar to a fretted note? I can perceive arguments on both sides of the fence, neither of which I can agree more with. Personal preference, or a real difference? I'm wondering how string angle/pressure over a zero fret will affect tonality and also how it will affect string bending (remember....bass build here).

Your opinions and ideas on zero frets are appreciated in advance.

Same downward forces you want bearing on a nut. No different considerations, really, and you can (if you want to) install a slightly taller zero fret as compared to the rest. The nut behind the zero fret should guide the strings laterally, NOT be the joint where they break.