Do You Sharpen Gents Saws, Small Tooth Saws?

GoodWood

You need a small file to suit the tooth size and shape and give each tooth a few strokes on the same angle as it was factory sharpened. Clamp the saw blade between a couple of blocks of wood in the vice. Go along the saw sharpening the teeth on one side then go back and do the opposite side. Don't remove any from the sides as you are reducing the "set" and it will jam in the cut. Many cheap saws seem to have a lack of set on the blades nowadays and don't cut smoothly.

Not sure on the brand, get mine from Axminster, the Haussanme. Possibly Z-saws (there's a 'Z' on one of the handles), packages for replacement blades are all in japanese, so I can't read 'em.

I haven't actually worn out any blades yet (2 years and going strong), but I did buy an 'extra' blade for one that I could use as a dedicate fret slotting blade, to make sure it doesn't get slightly bent, dull, etc. Slotting 5 ebony fretboards doesn't even make it blink.

What I would get is the Japanese/ brass on top design, Ill have to find it. Just been trying out my Nippon "butter saw", as compared to my regualr fine saws with the brass on top, cuts like butter, but Im having problems keeping the blade strait. I got the thicker style blade also, but I may use another saw to start this out to keep it square, (comes with 2 blades for $24.00)

What do you do to keep the cuts strait for Nippon blades?

What I would get is the Japanese/ brass on top design, Ill have to find it. Just been trying out my Nippon "butter saw", as compared to my regualr fine saws with the brass on top, cuts like butter, but Im having problems keeping the blade strait. I got the thicker style blade also, but I may use another saw to start this out to keep it square, (comes with 2 blades for $24.00)

What do you do to keep the cuts strait for Nippon blades?

[/quote

Its all in the elbow with Japanese saws, keep your arm below the elbow straight and try not to move your wrist. I find it is harder to use these saws however it is a lot easier to cut wood with them and the results are cleaner. I would not buy a very expensive saw because sharpening them is very difficult. Most of my saws have replaceable blades or are disposed of if they get dull. So far I have never disposed of one except one I used for construction which I beat up on. The steel is generally harder and will last mush longer than a western saw. However you can resharpen a western saw very easily. Smartfix.com has a DVD you can rent for western saw sharpening. I do own western saws but I prefer Japanese saws.

Woodenspoke