Error In A Template From Guitarbuildingtemplates.com

I know a lot of folks here use templates from guitarbuildingtemplates.com, so I wanted to warn you all about an error I found in one of them. I have their Tele template, a recent version from a couple months ago. The control cavity route in the body is 1/2"-3/4" too far back, toward the rear strap button. So with a Fender-style pickguard, that error in the control cavity position leaves a big gap between the control plate and the pickguard.

Tele-template.jpg

So if you're using Fender-style parts, don't use the control cavity route where they have it on the template, or your parts won't fit right.

Have you contacted them? It could be a manufacturing error on your specific template or a batch error or their template can be all together wrong. If you contact them, please let us know what they say.

Have you contacted them? It could be a manufacturing error on your specific template or a batch error or their template can be all together wrong. If you contact them, please let us know what they say.

Yes, I contacted them last week. I got a one-sentence e-mail from Ronny Trigo telling me to move the template up and down to the correct control cavity placement after the body was cut. I explained that that work-around was not the point--there was still an error in my template, that's going to cost me time and money to redo. He never replied.

Not surprising. There's been a big feud going on with eBay for some time now with template-sellers, some are good, some are not good. GBT has a disclaimer on their website now that states that their templates may be an "approximation". Okay, if I wanted an "approximate" Tele, I'd just look at a photo of a Tele and try to copy it by hand, why spend $69 on a template?

Okay, if I wanted an "approximate" Tele, I'd just look at a photo of a Tele and try to copy it by hand, why spend $69 on a template?

My thoughts exactly. I know how to make a template, and have used them to great success. But when I've been podering a tele build, I've considered cutting out the hassle of that step and just ordering a template. If I order a template, I want it accurate... that's the whole point, as you say!

I was at their site five minutes ago, about to order the red special, when all of a sudden firefox stopped loading pages for me. I'm glad I caught this before heading back over there to finish the transaction. Regardless of whether or not all his templates have errors, I refuse to deal with business owners who have no regard for their product or customers. :D

Maybe (and I'm just guessing here....) this is the result of the hardball tactics of this guy on eBay who claims to have a patent on Tele templates. He sells them and seems to spend every waking minute getting eBay to shut down any and all auctions that compete with him. Derek (BigD guitars) was one of the casualties IIRC.

Make it 10% different and you no longer violate the patent.

But when I've been pondering a tele build, I've considered cutting out the hassle of that step and just ordering a template. If I order a template, I want it accurate... that's the whole point, as you say!

Exactly. And I'd like something more than an arrogant brush-off from the manufacturer.

I'm happy to give my Tele template set to anyone who'll pay the shipping. I'm building a 7-string Tele, so I was only using the template as a starting point to design my own. Now that i'm mostly done, I won't need it anymore.

Dave293, glad you were able to hide the control cavity error under a solid finish. I hadn't started routing my body yet, so thankfully it's only my modified Tele template that has the cavity in the wrong place.

Crafty, I didn't see the disclaimer about the templates being approximate when I ordered. I don't know if it wasn't up yet, or if I just missed it. Sounds like standard "cover-your-ass" language to me.

I have also heard about the template allegedly-trademarked hassle on Ebay. I don't think the error in this template is any sort of attempt to dodge that (dubious) trademark claim; I think it's just a mistake from sloppiness. I also found a couple smaller mistakes: the bridge pickup cavity route is sloppy and asymmetrical, and the neck pickup route is just a hair too far toward the bridge. If they really wanted to dodge the trademark claim, they would have made it different in a purely cosmetic way, like the body outline or something, that would still leave it compatible with Fender pickguards.

Sounds like standard "cover-your-ass" language to me.

I don't know what you mean by this, but i've had my Tele template for almost 2 years know, and it's got the same issue. It's obviously remained that way for a while, so how can you credit this to laziness? Give me a break. :D He's not covering his ass, he's letting you know the truth. Jumping to conclusions based off dissatisfaction is NO way to get any issue solved. Instead of whining, why don't you just deal with it? It's not that hard to move the template forward an inch. The templates ARE an aproximation, not exact copies. There's a reason for this.

Edited by AlGeeEater

Sounds like standard "cover-your-ass" language to me.

I don't know what you mean by this, but i've had my Tele template for almost 2 years know, and it's got the same issue. It's obviously remained that way for a while, so how can you credit this to laziness? Give me a break. :D He's not covering his ass, he's letting you know the truth. Jumping to conclusions based off dissatisfaction is NO way to get any issue solved. Instead of whining, why don't you just deal with it? It's not that hard to move the template forward an inch. The templates ARE an aproximation, not exact copies. There's a reason for this.

You know I read this thread and had mixed feelings about the whole issue. Personally I don't buy templates so this is not something that I deal with. I do know that a lot of members have been happy with the templates they have bought, and members have recommended GBT to other members. I did take a minute to look up the Tele template and its description

Another Classic. 25.5" scale. Everything is compatible with standard Tele replacement parts. Includes: Front body routing/tracing template, neck cavity, exact vintage bridge placement, exact control plate placement, neck tracing template with standard tuner holes, rear body template with exact string ferrule placement and for tracing body.

$58

I have to agree that this statement-"exact control plate placement" is pretty cut and dry. Looking at factory Teles that is not the templates do not have the same placement. The warning to other members is a good one, and it would also be good if Ronny could just point that out in the description(I do not believe he is trying to decieve anyone, and given others have been very happy with his products I don't think this should scare people away from using his templates). Scott has pointed out something that is good to know, and hopefully it can be worked out(not through this forum, but between GBT's and Scott).

Peace,Rich

I have to agree that this statement-"exact control plate placement" is pretty cut and dry. Looking at factory Teles that is not the templates do not have the same placement. The warning to other members is a good one, and it would also be good if Ronny could just point that out in the description(I do not believe he is trying to decieve anyone, and given others have been very happy with his products I don't think this should scare people away from using his templates).

That's very true, but at the time I bought them (I haven't looked at the Tele ones in a while) it wasn't very cut and dry. I don't recall anything in the description saying 'exact placement'. I think that the new description should be revised though, because the control plate placement is NOT exact. Nothing wrong with that, but calling Ronny 'lazy' or saying that he's sloppy because the buyer is upset is unnecessary. :D

I guess dealing with know-it-all customers is part of having a buisness. I'm not exactly sure, but I think the templates are laser cut. Slopiness and laziness? I doubt it. I still don't understand how moving a template will cost somebody time and money. :D I'm just beating an almost dead horse I guess though.

Chris

Edited by AlGeeEater

I have to agree that this statement-"exact control plate placement" is pretty cut and dry. Looking at factory Teles that is not the templates do not have the same placement. The warning to other members is a good one, and it would also be good if Ronny could just point that out in the description(I do not believe he is trying to decieve anyone, and given others have been very happy with his products I don't think this should scare people away from using his templates).

That's very true, but at the time I bought them (I haven't looked at the Tele ones in a while) it wasn't very cut and dry. I don't recall anything in the description saying 'exact placement'. I think that the new description should be revised though, because the control plate placement is NOT exact. Nothing wrong with that, but calling Ronny 'lazy' or saying that he's sloppy because the buyer is upset is unnecessary. :D

I guess dealing with know-it-all customers is part of having a buisness. I'm not exactly sure, but I think the templates are laser cut. Slopiness and laziness? I doubt it. I still don't understand how moving a template will cost somebody time and money. B) I'm just beating an almost dead horse I guess though.

Chris

Chris,

I agree with you Ronny does not deserve to be called lazy(that is rude and uncalled for). He should revise the desription, and or make the disclamer more out front or else point out more clearly these are not exact clones of the originals. I personally think he has a good track record of satisfied customers, and he is doing a good job.

To be fair. I don't think Scott is a bad customer(he may know a lot but I doubt he is a know-it all :D ), and I think he is doing others(including Ronny as he obviously has an error in the description) a service by pointing this out. As far as a template costing money and or time. Well I am sure he used the originals to make duplicates for routing(not a good idea to risk the originals every time you build). So time and material= template copied exactly, and now he has to do it again and tweak the copy of the original so he has a good working template(at least that is what I would do, if I wanted the template to place the control route as would seem appropriate for the pick gaurd).

THUMP- just giving that horse one for the road :D

I don't entirely agree. The disclaimer is a new addition to his site, therefore he knew, or should have known about the mods/ errors or whatever you want to call them. His disclaimer should have been there long ago. However, I may still purchase plates from him with the NEW knowledge that I will have to double check them for accuracy of hardware placements and not take them for face value; after all, that's what your drawings are for!

And to GregP.: Tell Grimace to stop throwing me the bird! :D