Making your own neck

Making a neck is the hardest part to guitar building in my opinion. Simply because if it doesn't get built right, then the rest of the guitar doesn't even matter. I mean what good is a beautiful looking guitar that plays like crap? That's why you should really study up alot before attempting to build one. That way you might avoid some costly mistakes. Another thing about building your own neck, is that the tools you need to buy are quite high if you plan on making one that will play good. The fretting tools alone can set you back some big ones in itself. If you plan on doing inlays, you'll need special tools for that also. I'm not trying to discourage you, just trying to be realistic with you. Hope things turn out great.. and post pictures!!

Matt V

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never really seen it as being "worth it" to build my own neck. It just seems to be more of a pain in the ass than it's worth, especially when I can pick one up from Carvin for under $200.

That and fact that if I tried it, I know I'd find a way to f*ck it up...

4.jpg

9.jpg

i buy framed malpe.. and make it for tools table.. because air dry framed maple.

if i do not make tools table. i will make framed maple for guitar .. now...

so i make it for tools table.. ^^ next year, i will make toos tables wood..

Would you like me to send you some nice ApplePly panels to use for storage and I can take that maple off your hands?javascript:emoticon(':D')

Seriously, I hope you use it to make some guitars and send pictures. Before (shelf) and After (guitar.)

Back to the original topic, I have made my necks so far, but have purchased slotted fretboards. That way I can save money, create my own neck/headstock and still know it will play in tune. I do have a plan to make a strat out of Zebrawood and make a Zebrawood fretboard from scratch, since they aren't for sale. Then I'll have to develop a system to get the degree of accuracy needed.

hi..

i am korean.. so i live in seoul korea..

2.jpg

i buy my wood is very cheap.. framed maple big board(pic) is $60.

this size is width 600mm tick 17mm 2400mm .

only $60(USD)

good wood and cheap wood buy tip is use veneer campany.

veneer company use high class wood.. and querterswan ...

1_41.jpg

1_62.jpg

1_71.jpg

i use this lumber ^^ cheap and good..

it is my wood buying Tip...

search your location's veneer company,

good luck..

yes, it is my sick stockpile :D

when i start make guitar, my sick is happen..

when i see beatifull girl's legs, my feel is same to see beatifull wood..

i'm crazy to wood :DB)

all wood is beatifull ^^

hey lovecraft

you meant imperial measurements right? not "english measurements"

[can someone tell me what system they use now in england? metric or imperial?]

my personal preference: METRIC ALL THE WAY!

Page.

yesterday i work fingerboard radius and fretting..

if you see movie you need Wondows Media Player Ver9.

i'm only amateur,

my neck woking movie

i dont have radius bluck, so only use planer, scraper, sending paper..

7.jpg

this neck is ebony & walnut

Classic guitar player is David russell..

i think electric guitar making have limmited... but Classic Guitar have more difficult..

but i like Rock'N Roll ^^

my level is use file..

but My teacher Say, Basic wood working is no need Level working..

only 2 or 3 file work in fret..

Classic guitar player is David russell..

[snip]

but i like Rock'N Roll ^^

[snip]

Heh, I meant what's the name of the piece B). It sounds kind of like Fernando Sor.

Yeah, me too (although my playing sounds like a very sloppy Al DiMeola with a touch of Yngwie just for the annoyance factor :D )

What are you radiusing the fretboard to? Are you just going by feel? I started out on Classical guitar so I love wide and flat necks. I want to re-radius my necks to a 20" radius but it'd be difficult to find matching bridges and nuts (floyd's.)

8.jpg

fill with epoxy..

my fingerboard radius by my feel .. i dont know my fingerboard radious ^^

but easy to my hand...

i think fretting is very dificult.. for me...

mr nyjbkim. if you have question.. mail to me.. my email is webmaster@my-guitar.com

english is to hard to me ^^

sorry.. if own language is english.. i write more comment and reply..

but it is too hard to me ^^

nyjbkim good luck... ^^ nice to meet you..

• 2 months later...

I'm looking into making a neck for the first time too, although it might take a while to get the $$ to order the right tools to make them but once I have the tools, I'll always have 'em right? I'm stuck at the moment on how to do the truss rod channel. I have left one edge of my neck planks parallel to the line for the truss rod, but I don't have anywhere to attach an edge guide to it. Any ideas/suggestions? :D

I'm looking into making a neck for the first time too, although it might take a while to get the $$ to order the right tools to make them but once I have the tools, I'll always have 'em right? I'm stuck at the moment on how to do the truss rod channel. I have left one edge of my neck planks parallel to the line for the truss rod, but I don't have anywhere to attach an edge guide to it. Any ideas/suggestions? :D

Not quite following B) .

Does your router have an edge guide?

DannoG - I'm using zebrawood (with maple on either side) for my neck and fingerboard. It's not too bad to work with, but the endgrain is an total nightmare. It's so hard that when you're sanding it, it just goes shiney and takes an age. Oh, that and your centreline never looks straight due to the grain.

It's a bit drastic but could you glue a guide to the bottom plate of the router? For guide read: scrap bit of wood. Once done you can always pull it off and clean up the glue.

Alternatively you could use a chisel, not easy but possible (maybe finish off free hand with the router to get it level at the correct depth - very carfully).

Just a couple of thoughts, I really have no idea. Good luck dude, hope someone else can be of more help :D