Which Sander Is The Best?

iskim86

No comment on the router - I say go for something that will cost a bit more from a more reliable brand.

If you're going cheap on a random orbital sander, go with a Ryobi from Home Depot. They're about the same price, you'll probably want to circular kind, not the square or triangle one. There was an article on several different orbital sanders, the Crafstman one wasn't even random, it just sanded back and forth and left awful deep scratch lines. Besides the Ryobi being a little too powerful and loud, it's a great buy. It's best to clamp your work down when working with it, when the pattern change comes it kicks the board a little. I've had mine for maybe a year and a half, and for the price I paid I'm amazed at what I've gotten out of it.

Direct linking does not work on Home Depot, but here's what you'd be looking for. It's a "Ryobi 5 In. Palm-Grip Random Orbit Sander with Dust Collection" and is $34.88. There are even un-biased reviews (well, most of the time) on home depot which can help guide your decision making. Regarding the dust collection comments - it works fine. Just make sure to line the holes up on the sandpaper to the sander or else it wont suck any dust into the bag.

162529_3.jpg

To answer your question, you definitely want the random orbit model (the round one). However, I would strongly suggest you stay away from the B&D junk. It is cheap consumer-grade stuff and won't hold up long. Get out of Target, go to a real tool store, and get a professional quality tool for almost the same price. You'll be glad you did.

Porter-Cable routers are great. I've been using a 690 for years and the brushes are easy to replace.

As far as electric random orbit sanders are concerned I have a Dewalt that performs better than all the others that I have used.

After several hours of use with an electric sander, the vibration makes my arm go numb, so I use a jitter bug air tool.

Basically as other have said, You get what you pay for, so dont expect much from a cheap Ryobi or a B&D (B&D stuff was good at one point awhile ago but not anymore).

But as ryanb said go to a real tool store, also the internet is a very handy tool for finding reviews on various tools

Edited by Loki440

Taunton's 2007 tool guide rated the Skil 1825 router pretty well, which is about $100 with plunge and fixed bases. The space alien Hitachi gets pretty good ratings, too ($180), and then there are the classic Porter Cable and Bosch options ($200-280). I've used the Porter Cable 690 and it's very good, and I have a Bosch 1617 and think it's great.

Those prices are just what I remember reading.

I've had a DeWalt DA (dual action) orbital palm sander for quite a few years now and it is still kicking some serious ass. I'm not just using it for sanding on the occasional guitar either. I paint house exteriors and have relied on it for many many jobs. I've worn out a few hook and loop pads and will not loan it out anymore. The last guy kept digging into corners by tipping it so the edge of the pad got tattered in no time. But thats part of investing in a quality tool. In a lot of cases things get broken because of misuse. Take care of your tools and they will take care of you. I have paint brushes that are over 6 yrs old with constant use. I'm just that way with tools.

Edited by Southpa

For routing, you will need double stick tape, 2 steady hands, a nice bit with a ball bearing to follow the template, and of course the template for whatever you're routing. You will spend much more on bits than the router in no time. I have about 15-20 bits, more than 3 times the amount spent on the router total. I'm not sure what you should be looking for on a router, all I wanted was an adjustable base and I'm more than happy with my Porter Cable router. You'd be amazed at how much you can do with a router, so you may look into making different jigs for it.

What brands should you stay away from? I've have very bad experiences with Craftsman products, I hear B&D isn't so reliable. But those brands are more for the people that may use the tool a few times a year. Read up on reviews and buy the right tool you're looking for.

1/3 sheet finishing? My only guess is that it applies towards the size of the sander, I honestly don't know. I've put many many hours into my Ryobi orbital sander and it's been very reliable. The same will apply towards an orbital sander though, you'll definitely spend more on sandpaper than the sander itself in no time.

Porter Cable's good, can be had fairly cheap (check Amazon and eBay for reconditioned tools with full warranty, for instance), and the 690 is a real workhorse. Definitely worth the cash!

Whiteside bits are good, too. Get mine from routerbits.com, no complaints about quality or service from me!

That is a really, really good sander. I have one and I like it a lot. I've heard some people say the Festool is better but it's also a LOT more expensive. As I recall, the Porter Cable is significantly more also.

I just wish it weren't quite so tall, but then they all are, pretty much.

Edited by jnewman

• 4 months later...
There are some buzz sanders by Rupes,all rupes tools are mostly black with orange power switch the sander is the best avail. on the market.

But the best sanding tool is a flat hardwood with sanfing paper under it.

Rupes I never heard of it in the USA. Festool is a Cadillac or should I say the Lexus of hand powered tools. I've never owned one nor see any reason to spend that kind of money on a tool that may or may not perform better than a Porter Cable, DeWalt or a Makita. Ryobi makes pretty low-end tools as well as Craftsman and Skill, three brands I avoid.

I Worked for a Company, Who Only Used Ryobi Drills. This Was a Professional Shop Using Cordless Power Drills. These drill though seemingly a good buy are Made with Plastic Internal drive Gears. He Spent More Money Replacing the Drills Then He Would of If He Had Just Bought DeWalt Drills in the First Place (they use metal gears). What He Saw Was a Cheap Drill with Inexpensive Batteries, and That's Exactly What He Got. If He Had Bought the DeWalt He Would Probably Have Been Using the Same Drills for Many Years instead of replacing Ryobi's every 6 months. This sometime really just a math solution to stupidity, or as most people just quote you get what you pay for.

I Think that’s the Point People have Been Trying to Tell People on This Forum. If You Buy a Cheap Tool, Generally, You Wind up with an Inferior Product with a Limited Lifespan. Just look on TV even though they are sponsored shows how many Sears tools do you see contractors using???

First I Would Never Look at Target to Buy Tools. Maybe If I Needed a Frame or a Pillow That Would Be the Place to Go. But Tools!

Amazon Always Has Reconditioned Tools from Major Manufacturers, I Just Purchased a Bostick Portable Compressor Reconditioned to Do a Small Job for a Friend (yeah, I didn't have a portable compressor). I don't expect to use it on a daily basis, but i really do need a compressor in the garage for inflating my truck tires, but I bought a quality compressor at a discounted price and I know it will last me a lifetime. Most people on this forum use their tools as a hobby, reconditioned name brand tools fit well within this niche. So the next time you're thinking of spending $30 on a Ryobi sander look for a $35 reconditioned DeWalt instead. The same goes with any tool, even if you're a pro. If you don't think you will use it on a daily basis reconditioned is the way to go. I always look at reconditioned tools as half my shops power hand tools are reconditioned. IF I use the tool everyday I generally buy a new tool which has a longer warranty period.

I Generally Take Tool Ratings from Fine Woodworking Rather Than Individual Evaluations. First, I like the Magazine, They Don't Seem to Favor Any Particular Manufacturer. Regardless of Affiliation. And the Reviews are Pretty Thorough. Of Course, Each Person has different opinions using the Same Tool. What you like May Not Be Someone Elses favorite tool. So You Can Take All the Suggestions and Whatever Else You Receive Here with a Grain of Salt, even mine for that matter. I Suggest Getting out on the Web and Start Looking around for Tool Reviews on Items You Want. Things Have Certainly Changed in the Last 10 Years, and I Have Already Had to Replace Several of My Tools, One Being a DeWalt Random Orbit Sander with a Newer Porter Cable, Variable Speed Model. The DeWalt Still Worked. It Just Wasn't up to Today's Standards, and because Porter Cable Decided Finally to go with an eight hole 5 inch pattern the changeover was not a major deal, because I didn't have to change out my RO sandpaper collection too.

Edited by Woodenspoke

• 2 weeks later...
There are some buzz sanders by Rupes,all rupes tools are mostly black with orange power switch the sander is the best avail. on the market.

But the best sanding tool is a flat hardwood with sanfing paper under it.

Rupes I never heard of it in the USA. Festool is a Cadillac or should I say the Lexus of hand powered tools. I've never owned one nor see any reason to spend that kind of money on a tool that may or may not perform better than a Porter Cable, DeWalt or a Makita. Ryobi makes pretty low-end tools as well as Craftsman and Skill, three brands I avoid.

I Worked for a Company, Who Only Used Ryobi Drills. This Was a Professional Shop Using Cordless Power Drills. These drill though seemingly a good buy are Made with Plastic Internal drive Gears. He Spent More Money Replacing the Drills Then He Would of If He Had Just Bought DeWalt Drills in the First Place (they use metal gears). What He Saw Was a Cheap Drill with Inexpensive Batteries, and That's Exactly What He Got. If He Had Bought the DeWalt He Would Probably Have Been Using the Same Drills for Many Years instead of replacing Ryobi's every 6 months. This sometime really just a math solution to stupidity, or as most people just quote you get what you pay for.

I Think that’s the Point People have Been Trying to Tell People on This Forum. If You Buy a Cheap Tool, Generally, You Wind up with an Inferior Product with a Limited Lifespan. Just look on TV even though they are sponsored shows how many Sears tools do you see contractors using???

First I Would Never Look at Target to Buy Tools. Maybe If I Needed a Frame or a Pillow That Would Be the Place to Go. But Tools!

Amazon Always Has Reconditioned Tools from Major Manufacturers, I Just Purchased a Bostick Portable Compressor Reconditioned to Do a Small Job for a Friend (yeah, I didn't have a portable compressor). I don't expect to use it on a daily basis, but i really do need a compressor in the garage for inflating my truck tires, but I bought a quality compressor at a discounted price and I know it will last me a lifetime. Most people on this forum use their tools as a hobby, reconditioned name brand tools fit well within this niche. So the next time you're thinking of spending $30 on a Ryobi sander look for a $35 reconditioned DeWalt instead. The same goes with any tool, even if you're a pro. If you don't think you will use it on a daily basis reconditioned is the way to go. I always look at reconditioned tools as half my shops power hand tools are reconditioned. IF I use the tool everyday I generally buy a new tool which has a longer warranty period.

I Generally Take Tool Ratings from Fine Woodworking Rather Than Individual Evaluations. First, I like the Magazine, They Don't Seem to Favor Any Particular Manufacturer. Regardless of Affiliation. And the Reviews are Pretty Thorough. Of Course, Each Person has different opinions using the Same Tool. What you like May Not Be Someone Elses favorite tool. So You Can Take All the Suggestions and Whatever Else You Receive Here with a Grain of Salt, even mine for that matter. I Suggest Getting out on the Web and Start Looking around for Tool Reviews on Items You Want. Things Have Certainly Changed in the Last 10 Years, and I Have Already Had to Replace Several of My Tools, One Being a DeWalt Random Orbit Sander with a Newer Porter Cable, Variable Speed Model. The DeWalt Still Worked. It Just Wasn't up to Today's Standards, and because Porter Cable Decided Finally to go with an eight hole 5 inch pattern the changeover was not a major deal, because I didn't have to change out my RO sandpaper collection too.

IF you want to find a good tool dont watch the TV and dont look "sponsored ratings" on magazines.

Try to ask a wood worker that works in fast and demanding conditions.I have in my store over 8 buzz sanders the 2 are the ones that i mentioned above and i work only with these.

A buzz sander like makita,dewalt and bosch are as bored as donkey to move and sand a surface.Buzz sanders tend to leave small spiral lines on the wood that you will see only when you use water dye directly on the wood,thats why you must sand the surface(after buzzsand)with a hardwood and a sandpaper under it moving up and down from the wood grain and only.

hey,you said "look for a $35 reconditioned DeWalt instead"Just for you to know i bought my Rupes sanders 3 years before and i spent 160euro each now see that link read the specs and calculate the price http://www.rupestools.co.uk/index.php?i=61

It worths every single penny of its price,i can tell you that for sure.

Dont talk if you have no idea what you talk about. :D

Creers!

• 10 months later...

Just a note about the festool:

1. it takes only festool sandpaper and no other brand will fit that I know of. 120MM with a center hole for dust collection.

2. I sold a new one a few months ago which was given to me. I returned the money to my friend. I could not see stocking two different sizes of paper for 3 sanders. Most sanders now use the standard 5" 8 hole pattern. Even porter cable gave up the 5 hole pattern. This paper is available everywhere in the US under many different brands. Also paper like Zirconia as well as other long lasting cloth sheets are available unlike the festool.

3. I cannot say that the tool was any better than my porter cable since the PC also left heavy swirl marks in aluminum, my standard test platform. This does not mean it has issues working on wood. I rated the sanding pattern the same as my VS porter cable. I use a cheap Bosch on aluminum which works great. Probably less aggressive than the Festool or PC.

I know a lot of contractors who swear by the Festool but they can offset the cost of paper in their pricing.