Binding Dimensions

Hi,

I am about halfway done through a jaguar/tele hybrid guitar. I'm thinking of binding the body and have a plan to sandwich 3 strips (i.e. black/white/black) around the perimeter. StewMac is selling strips of 0.02" thick by 0.25" tall and recommends weld-on cement as adhesive.

Obviously from side-view I would route ~0.25" deep. My question is, from top-down view how deep do I route? If I wasn't accounting for the adhesive it would be 3 * 0.02" for the 3 strips, but I'm assuming the adhesive will fill an un-ignorable space, or expand a little (?) Any help is greatly appreciated.

Roy

:D

Hi,

I am about halfway done through a jaguar/tele hybrid guitar. I'm thinking of binding the body and have a plan to sandwich 3 strips (i.e. black/white/black) around the perimeter. StewMac is selling strips of 0.02" thick by 0.25" tall and recommends weld-on cement as adhesive.

Obviously from side-view I would route ~0.25" deep. My question is, from top-down view how deep do I route? If I wasn't accounting for the adhesive it would be 3 * 0.02" for the 3 strips, but I'm assuming the adhesive will fill an un-ignorable space, or expand a little (?) Any help is greatly appreciated.

Roy

:D

You need the glued on binding to be slightly proud of the side and the top. Then you take it back with scrapers, sanding, - some guys use power tool like a flush trim router without melting the binding...so decide a depth of cut from the binding.

RE weld on...it works but goes off quickly..take things very slowly an inch or two at a time try to pre bend the binding much more than you think is necessary -

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/4092/bindingprebentdf8.jpg

and put lots of extra pressure on the binding at the waist.

Also if after practice you don't like weld on make your own 'glue' by chopping up bits of binding and dissolving them in acetone. - It's the same colour as your binding. A fine needle & syringe is good to fill any little gaps, or you can buy some little clear spheres from the model aeroplane shop. They refract light so you don't see the horribl black pits that stand out like the grand canyon...

Have fun..

RobSm