Kay Archtop Guitar Question....

IM TRYING TO REPLACE THE BRASS TRUSSROD NUT ON MY 1950`s KAY ARCHTOP. THE OLD ONE STRIPPED PRETTY EASY AND IM NOT SURE OF THE SIZE AND IF I NEED TO REPLACE IT WITH BRASS OR NOT. I ALREADY STRIPPED SOME OF THE THREADS ON THE TRUSSROD TRYING TO REPLACE IT WITH WHAT I THOUGHT WAS THE RIGHT SIZE........ 10 32?

IF ANYONE CAN HELP.......

THANKS

trussrod.jpg

Edited by costo

Stewart MacDonald have a repair kit, but it is expensive but may give you an idea how to repair it.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Truss_rods/Spe...Rescue_Kit.html

What you need is a Die nut to clean up the thread but it will be to large on the OD. to fit. Firstly you will need to establish the correct diameter and thread it is.

I would probably see if I could buy a cheap Die nut or threading die the type that goes in a holder and grind the outside down so it will be small enough to fit the cavity.

Once the thread is repaired you will need a long nut (steel) so it has the maximum length of thread to pull on as the thread will not be 100%. Make sure you lube the threads well with petroleum jelly or silicone grease before screwing the nut on.