Best / Favourite Effect Pedals

Samba Pa Ti

Favourite Effects  

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have a real relic that I like but it has other issues that I don't like. The original Rockman X100 designed and produced by Tom Scholtz of the band "Boston" has one of the best chorus effects I've ever heard. Its been modified so I can cycle thru the 4 channels with a footswitch. Unfortunately, its a power sucking monster, you basically have to crank the amp twice as much to get the same volume when plugged in, also mucho background noise, static and hissing.

I have a BOSS OD pedal and recently traded it with a friend's BOSS Heavy Metal (HM-2) for a short period of time. Ya know what? I can't tell the difference between the two. I'm not big on distortion pedals anymore, they all seem to sound the same to me. I have a wah that my father built from the shell of a volume pedal. He constructed a crybaby circuit and modified it with low, med. and high ranges and it works very well, but there is a place for everything, I don't use it all the time.

I like using "on board" effects, ie. guitars with pickups wired in series to give that flanger effect and also have a guitar with the Black Ice cap installed that I got to work VERY well. No fuss, no muss, no dead batteries and extra patch cords, just plug in the guitar and play.

3 Pedals:

Vox Wah

Ernie Ball Volume

Boss TU-2 Tuner

The rest is in the notes, fingers, and koa/mahogany semi-hollow specifically tap tuned to get rich harmonics on flat fifths and sevenths when played in an environment with over 22% humidity but under 2,300 ft using strings dipped in WD-400 for 3 seconds and then put in the freezer under tri-tip for 2 weeks before being placed under photos of Hendrix with Miles Davis' Bitches Brew playing at 73 decibels for about 2 hours and 5 minutes. Really brings out the sound of those clams.

I'm an effects freak...I've always really loved slapping on as much signal processing as possible & playing funky synth-bass lines or super heavy octave, fuzz riffs. On a day to day basis I'll just plug into my Pod Pro through the PC & use a warm hendrixy sound but when I'm feeling frisky or when I'm jamming with others I'll whip out my home-made pedal case & create something nasty :D

My current pedal line-up is:

Boss TU2 tuner, Digitech synth-wah, Digitech Whammy, Morley bad horsie, Zoom hyper lead, Zoom fuzz, Boss super chorus, Boss tremolo, Guyatone mini delay, EHX smallstone.

also, in a box: Vox swell pedal, home-made fuzz, some double-tracker thingy, DOD od250.

The zoom distortion/overdrive pedals are awesome, by far the best pedals I've ever used. The hyper lead is like a Boss HM2 with tighter eq & more grunt...superb! Another toy I had when I used a rack was a Novation A-Station synth module. It's designed for keyboards but had inputs so that you could stick anything through it...hooked up to some expression pedals through MIDI & it was instant Prodigy via anologue guitar.

I have to have my Ibanez AD100 analogue delay on for ambience and gives the guitar a little buffering....really nice subtle natural sound... Also, works nicely in stereo.

I once had a set up with a valve amp running a 15" box and a Roland tranny amp with a chrome 12" running in stereo with an EH clone theory...amazingly big sound, warm bass, cutting highs and supper phat and gangly...oh, the 70's...

pete

omg i thought you would have voted for sustainer! loll

The sustainer is no more an effect than a guitar pick...it becomes a part of the instrument, not simply an effect...plus it isn't a "pedal" as such!!!

That said, I completely forgot it was there :D ...it's a part of that guitar now...

I have always used delay, more than reverb...it seems a bit clearer and gives the guitar more depth...the AD100 is quite a big thing that sits on top of the amp and gives a fantastic natural sound to any guitar...

pete

I used to have an Ibanez AD9, the "holy grail" delay in the early 90's. It was great looking back but, being eager to buy something new & techy & not really knowing what I had, I sold it for £10. Well actually I sold 8 pedals for £80 including the AD9 & a brand new Boss Super Chorus...which has been easier to replace. The Guyatone delay sounds very close to that box but it isn't the same

i LOVE my line 6 uber metal, because it has LOADS of distortion, and a really adjustable tone, and although it doesnt have much crunch it is still amazing for modern metal. if i want a really crunchy tone i just use amp distortion

• 1 month later...

Difficult question, you really need to experience all of them before making a realistic judgement. People usually tend to vote for what they have !

I guess a distorsion is usually the first and 'compulsory' effect.

But I now have a Vox AD30VT with lots of effects integrated so that will help me know what I like :D right now I'm enjoying the flanger, crazy sound. But when I can't wait to try out the whammy too...

I had a delay pedal but sold it as I found it too hard to use, could never find the right setting and was wasting too much time on it instead of practising !

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For real amps, a touch of compression and that's all. My bass amp runs an Electro-Harmonix Black Finger which is plenty cool, but I worry when you have hot tubes and beer in the same vicinity.

For recording using my Toneport - a smidge of compression, verb and perhaps stereo slapback to widen a guitar up. Backing off the drive helps, but that's not an effect as such...just sense...

I think a nice distortion for bass grind would be nice :-D