Removing Telecaster Chrome Pickup Plate

pariah223

I just bought a telecaster seymour duncan vintage rhythm pickup with the chrome plate on it for the neck.... and since im an idiot, it fell out of my hands and just happened to land right on top of a saw blade in my tool box.. leaving a nice ugly ding in the cover.. I can just swap out the cover for another cover, but i cant figure out how to get the thing off. I thought it would be something that slips on and off, but its on there good. Does anyone know how to get it off of there?

The original Tele neck pickup had two or three small tabs that were bent around the botton flange of the pickup. No other attachments. Have a look at the pickup "upside down" and you should see those tabs. Don't know if the SDs are made different

It's just like Swedish said, except when I switched the cover on my SD vintage stack the tabs were not bent. The only thing I had to do (besides pull it a little) was de-solder the tab that touched the connection point for the wires. It was soldered to ground and the cover helps to block RF that way. Make sure that you re-attach the new cover by soldering it to ground in some way.