Retracting Strap

I've got a few guitars lying about (on stands) in the spare room. It's a bit crowded and I often end up with straps dangling all over the place. I don't care about the untidyness but I tripped over the stap on my Jem once and pulled it over, snapping the neck! This was a very traumatic incident as I'm sure you can imagine.

So I was thinking aobut a retracting strap that would wind itself up when there's no weight on it (like a car seatbelt). I've had a good look around on the web and can't find anything like that about. Has anyone got any idea if they exist? I don't like the idea of putting an actual seatbelt mechanism in a guitar because it'd weigh far too much but there must be some way of rigging it up pretty easily.

You used to be able to get stretchy straps but I have not seen retractable ones, I personally fit strap locks & remove the strap when not in use.

for some reason firefox pops up with a search box when I press the appostrophe key?!?...back to proper grammar then.

Only if they're high enough. I reckon I could still get something caught on the strap and pull it off the wall. Also, rented accommodation prevents any serious drilling in the house.

I just thought it'd be nice and easy to have it just roll up some (about half) of the strap.

I'll have a bit of a think about it and see if I can invent something.

[Edited for typo.]

Edited by dh7892