2-piece Bodies

I dare you to find a production guitar with a 1 piece body.

Gibson Explorer.

But anyway,I would not put too much faith in what "production guitars" do or don't do...they are slackers.I use one piece where i can,but it doesn't matter that much to me.

I dare you to find a production guitar with a 1 piece body.

Gibson Explorer.

But anyway,I would not put too much faith in what "production guitars" do or don't do...they are slackers.I use one piece where i can,but it doesn't matter that much to me.

really? i recall even the natural gibson explorere to have a 3 peice body.

wow i thought most guitars were one peice.

and zomg...blazing saddles fan :D

there must be some slight difference in tone

and its much easyer to work with one peice of wood.

and if your doing a nateral look it would probably look better unless the join is in the middle and stands out on purpose

there must be some slight difference in tone

and its much easyer to work with one peice of wood.

and if your doing a nateral look it would probably look better unless the join is in the middle and stands out on purpose

There won't be any more difference in tone than there is between any two body blanks - 1 or 2 piece - you care to mention, especially if the body wood's from the same board (only way I've ever done it to date). Look, most folks don't think a thin (1/8" to 1/4") top adds much of anything to the sound, and it's got a gluing area of over 8 times what it takes to make a 2-piece body. Nobody ever accused Les Pauls of lacking sustain, f'r instance, and they have a huge honkin' horizontal glue line.

Making a nice-looking 2-piece body does require a bit of flipping and matching, and some woods are easier to join than others. The last few I've glued up, all of which will get natural finishes (excuse the lack of finish sanding and pencil marks, but you get the idea. The lines are invisible, the joints nearly so):

http://www.xs4all.nl/~mvalente/guitarpics4/stratele89.jpg

chamber3.jpg

Making a nice-looking 2-piece body does require a bit of flipping and matching, and some woods are easier to join than others. The last few I've glued up, all of which will get natural finishes (excuse the lack of finish sanding and pencil marks, but you get the idea. The lines are invisible, the joints nearly so):

http://www.xs4all.nl/~mvalente/guitarpics4/stratele89.jpg

http://www.xs4all.nl/~mvalente/guitarpics6/chamber/chamber3.jpg

Would you agree also that having a two piece greatly expands the choice in figured tops and body woods for that matter? I know of a number of exotics that are hard to come by(near me) in thickness and width of of a one piece. To be honest, more often than not I prefer a bookmatched top or body in figured woods, it gives the guitar a very interesting and symmetrical look(aka Vader) and seems to look more even than a one piece. I would imagine it much easier to find an evenly figured board in a 6-7 inch plank than to find one in a 12-14 inch plank.