Lace Sensors And Tbx Syatem

Guitar WIll

Hi, I'm in the process of getting some lace sensors for my strat project, and I read that I need to use a Fender TBX set with them. I have found that this is only the pots and the switch through research, so why do I need them? I assume that it is because lace sensors are a bit differnt to normal pickups. I haven't the first clue about how I'm going to wire the guitar and I'm a bit scared that I'm going to do it wrong. I have looked at the buddy guy wiring diagram on the fender site and it looks so complicated. Can anyone help me.

BTW the TBX set costs £33. Will that inclued everything? http://www.axesrus.com/axeknobs.htm

Any help would be really appreciated, I do A level physics, and know in a lot of depth how a pickup will work, but I also know how easy it is to screw up a circuit and how long it could take to get it to work.

It's not necessary to use a TBX with Lace Sensors. In the Strat Plus produced during the late 1980s, Fender used a TBX control only for the bridge pickup. The other tone pot was a normal 250K 0.022mfd tone control.

EDIT: I removed the TBX and replaced it with a regular tone setup. The TBX and Lace Sensor bridge was way too bright for my tastes.

The TBX is only a dual pot, one resistor and one cap. Nothing special about the 5 way switch on the link you posted.

Edited by JoeAArthur

Ah, so I only use the TBX on the bridge, but if I take it off won't I end up with a very muddy sound?

And that set that I linked doesn't have everything that I need?

Oh, and what does duel post mean (sorry for being so clueless :D but I want to learn, I shall revise potentiometers tonight)

Cheers.

Ah, so I only use the TBX on the bridge, but if I take it off won't I end up with a very muddy sound?

And that set that I linked doesn't have everything that I need?

Oh, and what does duel post mean (sorry for being so clueless :D but I want to learn, I shall revise potentiometers tonight)

Cheers.

Actually I will assume you want to know what dual pot means... not duel post.

Most pots are single pots. A dual pot is two pots operated by a common shaft. The pots do not have to be the same value.

For the TBX... one pot has a 250K value. The other pot of the dual arrangement has a 1 Meg value. But they are further special.

Let's say you have a TBX. Fully counterclockwise (aka anti-clockwise), the 250K section would be at zero ohms. The 1 Meg section would also be at zero ohms.

Moving the pot clockwise from zero to the center detent ("5"). The 250K section would increase in resistance from zero to the full 250K value of this section. The 1 Meg section would remain at zero ohms.

Moving the pot further clockwise from the center detent ("5") to maximum clockwise ("10"). The 250K section would remain at 250K. The 1 Meg section would increase in resistance from zero to the full 1 Meg value of this section.

I am not saying that the linked kit doesn't contain everything you need. After all, you have not told us how you intend on wiring this guitar of yours. All I am saying that the TBX is a dual pot with a single resistor and a single capacitor. That's it.

In other words, a TBX "system" doesn't need a "special 5-way switch".

The TBX from axesrus has the whole TBX kit which includes the dual pot & the capacitors & might even be partly wired up, I can't remember. I have bought the TBX from there before.

I have the Clapton setup in my strat, 3 Fender Lace golds, Clapton mid-boost & TBX. It's a personal thing, I like the TBX & usually have it fully up but if you're happy with standard strat tones I wouldn't bother. The TBX is fitted as a direct replacement of a standard tone pot so there's no reason why you can't fit one later if you feel the need. Where did you read that you NEEDED to have the TBX?

Thanks for everyone’s help, it has been very useful.

I bought some lace sensors gold because I wanted a buddy guy/ Clapton sound. After I bought them I was reading the reviews on a site (probs musician central) and the feedback said that without using they would result in a terrible sound. Once that particular person fitted a TBX it improved the sound greatly. I continued researching and people I know said that you have to have them because they're not normal single coils. Since I don't know anything about the wiring of guitars I thought that it would be a good idea to ask. Good job I did.

I will be building a pre amp circuit board for my guitar so I will be be using a wiring diagram that came with the instructions. That again will be an interesting process!

Cheers, Will