Side Bending, Wood Still 'springy'?

Ok, Ive just bent my first side on th' bender!! Padouk, and I thinned it out to about .76 up at the tight upper bends, and it went fairly smoothly. The temp gauge was 'all over' the place, but I kept it at about 310 Degrees. Its been about 2 hours, every thing is cooled down, but when I take off the fron top hold down bar, it springs back up to 1" even when I hold the steel down. I let the wood set with the heat at 310 for about 15-20 minutes. Should I just wait overnight? Or is springback common? I did build in about 1/8 off mold" for springback compensation.

Thanks

Ok, Ive just bent my first side on th' bender!! Padouk, and I thinned it out to about .76 up at the tight upper bends, and it went fairly smoothly. The temp gauge was 'all over' the place, but I kept it at about 310 Degrees. Its been about 2 hours, every thing is cooled down, but when I take off the fron top hold down bar, it springs back up to 1" even when I hold the steel down. I let the wood set with the heat at 310 for about 15-20 minutes. Should I just wait overnight? Or is springback common? I did build in about 1/8 off mold" for springback compensation.

Thanks

A little spring back is common. If you don't have to force it into your mold you are fine. I usually bend, then re-heat to temp one time. Then leave it over night(in the form). Then place it in my mold. Sounds like you are reaching high enough temps.

Peace,Rich

It ended up fitting in the mold ok, but it will have to be forced a bit with the spreaders. I like your way, reheat and let sit overnight. I suppose mist it a bit with water. it seems a bit lumpy at the bottom also, but I was happy with the results.The heat gun seems to heat it soft pretty well also, I remember they get really hot, over 300. I should have my first box in a month or so. :D

It ended up fitting in the mold ok, but it will have to be forced a bit with the spreaders. I like your way, reheat and let sit overnight. I suppose mist it a bit with water. it seems a bit lumpy at the bottom also, but I was happy with the results.The heat gun seems to heat it soft pretty well also, I remember they get really hot, over 300. I should have my first box in a month or so. :D

Yep, depending on your heat source(how even and controlled it is) a bit of water can even the heat a bit better and cut down on scortching. I have also found a more evenly supported bas will cut your potential for lumps or bumps. Sounds like your off and running! Good for you!

Peace,Rich