Body Design

that looks really good but i prefer the LP style control layout.

Loving the body design. Not sold on the head stock yet though. You have a wide rounded body, the head stock, is long a gets fairly narrow. It looks like there is a good 2" of wood at the end that is just hanging out there. It just doesn't seem to suit that body that well.

Dunno. Something looks weird about it. There's a balance missing between the cutaways and the lower bouts (is that the correct term?) that I have a hard time articulating. Almost like the bottom end is on its way to "doing something" (unlike typical plain ol' round bouts which aren't really going toward anything) but then decides not to. Whereas the cutaways are all roundy curvy and essentially "normal".

I guess that's just a way of trying to explain why it's not to my taste, but it doesn't really need to suit everyone. I remember when Boggs made his first one he had a lot of people who didn't (and maybe still don't!) prefer the shape, but it turned out great.

Greg

yup the switch was something ive had a hard time with. its been in three places now and none seem to work. i was thinking of doing a gibson style switch on the top horn. thanks for the headstock feedback. that wasnt easy to figure out either

BNicholsguitar-2.jpg

I like moving up the knobs a bit and placing the switch behind and inline with the knobs. I just did the mock up quick on some paint prog so I couldn't get the angle right, but thats close to how I like it, especially with a strat like switch. I can't wait to see how this build turns out, it's looking good so far! Oh yeah and I like the new headstock too! J

Edited by jmrentis

thanks for the feedback. I will probably start looking for the supplies so I have everything and I can plan, plan, plan. I don't know when I'll be able to start though. I don't have any tools available to me (no bandsaw, no jointer, no belt sander, etc.) :D . But I'm thinking if I do get tools I will alter the design for a semi-hollow with this wood:

One on Right

thanks for the feedback. I will probably start looking for the supplies so I have everything and I can plan, plan, plan. I don't know when I'll be able to start though. I don't have any tools available to me (no bandsaw, no jointer, no belt sander, etc.) B) . But I'm thinking if I do get tools I will alter the design for a semi-hollow with this wood:

One on Right

I roam that site(gilmer) probably more than this site, lol. The entire time I'm just :D:D

I got some somewhat decent local wood shops, so I go there first. Once I have all my tools paid for and am through this project, I will probably buy a nice little stash of the woods I don't see much of at my places.

a gibson layout would look much better on that guitar in my opinion