Which Sanding Method?

Hi Guys,

I'm building an RG from bits I've bought on EBay and I need to remove the finish as a) it's burgundy (yeuch) and :D I need to do some filling on it (basically the screw for the bottom strap button has stripped a lot of wood out and theres nothing there to provide resistance so it falls out and the screw for the strap button on the top horn has sheared off and needs to be drilled out).

I've decided to go for the sanding option - I don't like messing around with chemical strippers and I hate heat guns....Which method would be best? To hand sand or use an electric sander?

Any thoughts would be appreciated :D

Chris

There will be a sealer coat under the paint which will be harder to remove than the paint itself. Why not remove the clearcoat (if there is one) by hand, do your filling and repair work before scuff sanding the lot flat for your finish coats? Most of the work has been done for you after all - no need to go right back to the wood :-D

I just stripped an rg 750 in metallic red paint down to the bare wood, with an electric palm sander and 2 sheets of 60 grit sandpaper.It took about 3 hours over the course of a couple of days.The problem is always on the inside horns,you goto do them by hand or get a small contour sander in there. they actually took longer than the rest of the guitar.You have to be careful not to sand too much or you'll get grooves in the wood. They are for me are the only reason id use heat or chemicals. If you do sand it keep moving around,you always goto make sure you aren't sanding too far into the wood especially on the edges.

As for filling the strap button cavity, the best method i have found is to get some wood or carpenters glue and some wood (sanding) shavings. Mix them together and pack them into the hole until it is flush to the top.It will dry rock hard. I have never had one fail on me.