audio taper confusion

whisky182

Found a description of the term:

What is an audio taper? To answer this question, one must understand how the human ear senses sound. The human being experiences loudness as a sensation in the brain. The physical measure of loudness is known as intensity. Intensity is expressed in Watts/meter2 (W/m2) or decibels (dB). The human ear responds to sound in a logarithmic fashion. The smallest change in sound that the human ear can detect is 1dB. For this reason, the dB scale, which is based on a logarithmic scale, is used. The audio taper panel control produces a change in output on a logarithmic scale giving the human ear the perception of sound intensity increasing in a linear fashion. Audio tapers are typically used in volume control applications. Modified linear tapers are used in lighting control applications.

Found a description of the term:

What is an audio taper? To answer this question, one must understand how the human ear senses sound. The human being experiences loudness as a sensation in the brain. The physical measure of loudness is known as intensity. Intensity is expressed in Watts/meter2 (W/m2) or decibels (dB). The human ear responds to sound in a logarithmic fashion. The smallest change in sound that the human ear can detect is 1dB. For this reason, the dB scale, which is based on a logarithmic scale, is used. The audio taper panel control produces a change in output on a logarithmic scale giving the human ear the perception of sound intensity increasing in a linear fashion. Audio tapers are typically used in volume control applications. Modified linear tapers are used in lighting control applications.

What he said. :D

now that we all know what audio taper is, pretty much any (probably every) pot you will buy from a guitar parts store will be audio, because thats what youre supposed to use, it just sounds better. allparts, warmoth, stew-mac, etc. those don't say audio taper but they are.

audio-taper is used for everything dealing with sound.

hi

i read what daveg posted, now i am going to put that in lame man's terms.

linear means a straight line. so imagine a graph with a straight line from the bottom of x & y to the top of x & y.

now an audio taper is very similar to linear except it is concaved.

so the linear tapers raises at a consistent level as you turn it. now an audio taper raises gradually as you turn it because it is concaved right. [just imagine it]

i think audio tapers are used in volumes because as they are turned they raise gradually, so this means the dB are spaced out more, because they are concaved remember. but if it is linear, the dB are raised consistantly so the dB are closer together. now we can only hear the differents of loudness and/or intensities by 1 dB. pretty much, an audio taper gives us more variation in what we hear.

and if you are like :D , i will find a site for you to B) . just ask me. B)

Page. :D:D:D