HELP WITH SETUP!!!

Ok guys, im not a newb, but im not a super experienced guy either. Im having trouble getting my action to what is a "good" level. I own an ibanez s 470, and like its not setting up right. If i get it to about 1/32 inch it starts to buzz. I have accounted for the truss rod, and it still buzzes. is there something wrong with my bridge? I want the action to be as low as possible. I have an online-friend who has action that is 1/64 the whole fret board... (js 1000), he has sent me pics of it, so dont say its a lie. Its COMPLETELY level, and all he says he did is lower the trem and only use 2 springs... am i doin something wrong?

The trus rod, nut and bridge height are only part of the equation. In order to have the lowest possible action, your frets must be very level. If some are higher than others, or not properly seated, this can cause buzz. All of these parameters must be in balance.

your local repair shop should be able to take care of this for you. If you want the ultimate in low action, you may want to consider this:

http://www.plek.com/

There are only a few machines in the US, and it will set you back $200, but no human can come close. This is a better investment than pickups, effects or any other mods in my opinion.

Your playing style can have an effect. If you hit the strings hard, or bend a lot, you may require higher action than some one with a lighter touch. Strings gage and fretboard radius have an effect as well.

-Sven

Apart from their Berlin custom center, home of the Plek, there are two shops in germany that have a Plek machine, one is the shop right down my street :D

I bought my ESP custom off of ebay, and the frets were pretty beat, oxidized and played like crap. The day I got it, I brought it down there and had it Plek'd. The tech set action at about 80% of the possible "lowness". It plays simply amazing. I have yet to play on a better Superstrat. It sure is expensive, but it can turn a neck with crappy frets into an pretty good one, I'm sure it can turn a neck with good frets into a fantastic one.

so long

ace

It sure is expensive, but it can turn a neck with crappy frets into an pretty good one, I'm sure it can turn a neck with good frets into a fantastic one.

I have not had a Plek set-up, but there is one of 3 machines in the US just a few miles from me :D 2 of my friends have had it done to their guitars. It is pretty incredible from what I've heard. Not that expensive when you consider what you're getting.

-Sven

The problem would not be the method of levelling the frets, it would be measuring the neck and calculating the optimum fret profile. Actually the Plek pushes the strings aside when manipulating the frets, so the guitar stays strung toroughout the process.

so long

ace

I wonder how much the machines cost. 10,000's I'm guessing.

More like 100K I think.

The machine actually calculates the relief and radius of each fret, taking into account the shape of a vibrating string, fine tuned to your playing style. It takes into account string bending when it does this too. It also corrects the intonation of each fret, so if the crown is not where it should be, it will move it. Pretty slick, I say.

-Sven