Drilling A Hole For The Jack

What size and type of drill bit should I use to drill the hole for a LP-style output jack?

Sorry, I'm sure this has been covered but I can't figure out what words to search for and don't have my copy of Hiscock's book w/ me and I need to stop off to buy this on the way home from work today. Thanks in advance.

What size and type of drill bit should I use to drill the hole for a LP-style output jack?

Sorry, I'm sure this has been covered but I can't figure out what words to search for and don't have my copy of Hiscock's book w/ me and I need to stop off to buy this on the way home from work today. Thanks in advance.

most use 3/4". its what i use also.

Thanks! Will a spade bit do or is there too much danger of splintering?

i personaly dont like spade bits. if it isnt a flat surface, it tends to skip. if you have a really high powered drill then it might work ok, but i dont think i would trust it with a 18 volt cordless.

What kind of jack are you using that you need a 3/4" hole? I thought this jack was considered the standard and Stewmac says it only requires a 3/8" hole.

What kind of jack are you using that you need a 3/4" hole? I thought this jack was considered the standard and Stewmac says it only requires a 3/8" hole.

That 3/8" is for the hole for the threaded portion, which goes into a plate which is then screwed onto the body, not the wood. I believe if you were to measure the overall diameter of that jack it would significantly larger than that. Think about it this way, based on that picture a 1/4" guitar jack going into that is going to require a much larger overall diameter for the part. That's only 1/8" difference in diameter.

what it means is you need a 3/8 inch hole for the 1/4" plug part to fit through the mounting plate. i have those exact jacks and a 3/4" hole barley allows the prongs to fit through.

I didn't mean to imply that anyone was wrong with their sizes....I just wasn't sure what size to actually drill, and Stewmac's info was a little misleading. I am about to drill the jack hole on my project as well, so thanks for this information. :D

Sorry to interrupt again...but for that switchcraft jack, how much thickness do you need at the edge of the guitar to support it?