Covering Sustainer Drivers,

Kit

Hi all,

I study physics, and so have covered magnetism, but I've a question or two about sustainers. I'm currently preparing to wire my first ever home made guitar.

I've put a BareKnuckle Nailbomb in the bridge, and have bought a Fernandes FSK-101 for the neck. The guitar (an SG) is a natural finish with a clear varnish, and a custom designed mirror-backed perspex scratchplate.

To go with the chromey finish of the guitar, I'd like to put a chrome/nickel coverplate over the Sustainer driver. Would this shield the strings from the field produced by the driver at all (and so reduce the drivers efficiency)? Would I also need to ground the cover, as a magnetic field moving relative to a current-carrying conducter = current?

Just a question for the experts :], thanks alot...

Kit

Simple test. If a magnet sticks to it, it will shield the strings from the magnetic field of the driver. If it doesn't (like pickup covers), then it won't.

As long as the cover isn't magnetic, you shouldn't need to ground it. I could be wrong, though. If all else fails, use trial and error to determine whether you need to ground it.

I don't know about this...the sustainer needs to be very close to the strings and they advise that you can not use a cover...

It is not for magnetic reasons it seems but may relate to eddy currents in any conductive material. The main reason is that it is extra space between the driver and the strings...

pete