Floating Bridge Troubles

whatsup everyone,

so i have had troubles in the past with tuning my ibanez RG's, because of the locking trems. i did tons of research and now im pretty good at setting up my gear... one problem left though, when i tune my guitars with locking trems i can get them perfectly in tune (meaning each string in tune with the next) but as a whole they are about a quarter step lower than i want them (i want them in standard tuning, they end up flat). my thoughts are maybe to tighten the anchor screws under the back cover to kind of tighten the trem, but thats lack of experience talking. any help is appreciated, thanks everyone!!!

Nate

Edited by natedogg319

Forgive me if I am interpretting this wrong, but it sounds like the strings are in tune with each other if you are using the 5th fret against the next open string, but the overall tuning of everything is a quarter step flat. One of the problems with Floyd style trems is that when you tune one string it pulls the others out of pitch. This is why you change one string at a time. Otherwise you have to tune several times until everything stays in pitch. Tightening the spring claw is only going to add tension to the trem and pull it deeper into the recess and throw off you action. My suggestions would be to do the following.

1) First make sure the string you are basing your tuning off of is tuned to the correct pitch.

2) Once you go through tuning all of the strings, retune the first string to pitch and go back through and retune all of the strings. Do this until all of the strings are in pitch. Remember with a Floyd, changing the tuning of one string, affects all of the others.

In the furutre make sure when you change strings you only change one at a time.

actually you understood exactly what i meant, which fills me with joy, haha. i do change my strings on at a time (learned that the hard way a couple years ago). i used to tune each string and then do the next one using a tuner, basically how you explained, though instead of the 5th fret thing i just used a tuner. but i ended up with my bridge about an inch higher than it shouldve been, and the strings were still having the same problem. i had to take it to a shop and have it setup, and thats what im tryin to avoided is having to take in my guitar to get it tuned lol. thanks for your help, i will try your way out, and i welcome any other ideas.

Nate

I'm not quite sure what you are referring to that the bridge ended up an inch higher than it should have been. The first thing I would do is take a look at the tutorial on the PG front page about how to do a full setup on the guitar and take a look at how to setup a Floyd Rose bridge. Make sure everything is setup properly first. Floyds can be a pain in the butt to work with, most guys that have them develop a system that they do not deviate from when adjusting them, simply to eliminate the problems that the floating styles can cause.

the springs at the back werent at the correct tension so when he tuned the strings it pulled the floating bridge up...

iv had similar problems...learn how to set up the springs at the back it will save you LOTS of time and money later!!!

tune up..if the bridge is too high loosen the springs about 1 turn..retune and carry on till its centered.