I Have A Kinda Silly Question

Do you think I could route out a channel in the neck and fill it with jb weld? Thier website says, of course, when dried, epoxy resin would become as strong as steel. I've been wanting to experiment with epoxies and stuff, but I don't know what to use. Any suggestions?

DO IT! It'd definitely be worth checking out. I'd look into the process of routing for carbon fiber rods, and do the same thing. I'd be careful with how full you fill the cavity, though. I've never worked with JB weld, but "strong as steel" must mean that there's no way you're sanding that mother down if you overfill the cavity. Also, I don't know if it would expand over time, you might want to figure that out before clamping a fretboard over it.

But, you're the one who mentioned it, and I'd definitely go for it, since you know more than I about how JB works. I think it was Wes who covered one of his guitars with epoxy to use as a basecoat. It probably wasn't the same as what you're talking about, since it was able to be sanded. Maybe do a search on the forums for epoxy? I know people use it, but I've never heard it done in a neck, like you're talking about.

id sa the strong as steel is a bunch of crap. steel with alot of impurities is pretty weak, and im sure its not strong as steel. its probably quite brittle. having said that, theres no reason not to try it, but why not encase an actual piece of steel inside the jb weld? id suggest a bar thats higher than it is wide, and put it perpedicular to the fretboard.

For what it's worth, high grade carbon fiber and graphite rods have at least 10x the tensile and compressive strengths of 3140. I doubt jb weld is as strong as steel in all respects, and the graphite rods will do doubt be just as light or lighter than a channel filled with jb weld. Also, I'd venture to guess that the graphite rods would be cheaper if you looked around. I buy mine from hobby-lobby.com. Not the same store as Hobby Lobby, mind you.

Edited by thegarehanman

Maybe strong as steel when you consider some sort of joint repair between two pieces of metal. I've used it to repair cracks etc. in my aluminum truck canopy and elsewhere, its good stuff. But as a standalone forget it, JB weld is used as a type of glue and/or filler, too brittle otherwise.

For what it's worth, high grade carbon fiber and graphite rods have at least 10x the tensile and compressive strengths of 3140. I doubt jb weld is as strong as steel in all respects, and the graphite rods will do doubt be just as light or lighter than a channel filled with jb weld. Also, I'd venture to guess that the graphite rods would be cheaper if you looked around. I buy mine from hobby-lobby.com. Not the same store as Hobby Lobby, mind you.

Which ones do you use? I was looking at the 4mm x 3mm rectangular "tubes"...

Question is, is it as stiff as steel?

I use a pair of CF rods (rectangular, from Los Alomos Composites, wattsguitars.com is the address, methinks), very nice price if you get a whole bunch (4 dollars), and even if you don't order 30 in one go like I did.