So, The Car Got Stolen, Heres What Insurane Got Me

Well, my tib got stolen, and after fighting with the insurance company, i got a new vehicle.

Curtis-JakestruckMay20079.jpg

2002 Ford F150 4x4, FX4 package

Air

Tilt

Power windows, locks, mirrors, pedals (cool option!)

4.6 triton V8, its ok,

Right now, i havent done anything to it, but, i have got plans for it.

Programmer (up to 80 hp supposbly)

Exhaust

Intake

so, hopefully i will be up to 350 hp (crank, not the rwheels) by november.

Its, refreshing to be back in a truck again

Curtis

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just talked to my friend's mother, a woman in her 70's, who drives an original '78 Anniversary Special corvette. It was stolen right from under her nose, from the driveway in the middle of the night. They found it 5 days later and caught the thief asleep and slumped over the steering wheel. The car was littered with used syringes and garbage, needed some front end work and a dent fixed. The police ripped up all the carpet looking for anything else "drug" related and didn't put things back the way they were. Shes happy enough to get the car back but I wonder if her auto insurance will cover the cost of resetting all the things the police undone. She obviously can't do it herself.

Who steals a Tiburon? Seriously, what are they really worth comin' out of a chop shop, like $50? :D

Now the 'vette, that's just hoodrich. Guy prolly didn't want to boost the car, just flossin' in style for a few days...

If you ever plan on doing your own tune-ups, put at least a body lift on her. The number 4 plug is a mother to change, and with the body lifted up, it makes it managable. Depending on the insurance, and if you have reciepts, the stereo equip may be covered.

yep, by winter, i will be pushin more then 350 at the crank now, i just priced around, and to do my programmer, under drive pulleys, exhaust and intake, AND a 100 shot spray will give me a whopping 400 ponies, for a price though, i am lookin at about 1500 to install it all myself.

So, who wants to race? :D

Curtis

• 2 weeks later...

18 mpg? Really? My '02 Explorer (4.0 V6) only gets about 15. :D Not bad on the highway for an SUV, though, maybe 20 mpg.

(Oh, and I had to replace the transmission for $2600 at about 75k miles. I've read it's common with that transmission. I hope you have a different one.)

I guess I just don't feel like I need to compensate for anything by driving a particular car.

*hops into his Ford Taurus Stationwagon*

*realizes he uses too many of these * * things to denote an imaginary action*

(Just joshin' ya, btw, although I really do think the world needs to embrace more fuel efficient cars and drop the whole "I can afford it right now, I don't care what will happen in the future" attitude.)

i was talkin highway there, city i dont even wanna know, I dont drive city as i live on the edge of the highway and i take the highway to work, and then i work right off the highway as well,

It was a toss up between a 2003 ranger with the 4.0 v6 and this one, with the 4.6 v8, and trust me, it is a WORLD of difference.

Before the transmission died and I really had no choice but to get it fixed, I was on the verge of getting an Escape hybrid. Now I guess I'll have to drive the Explorer until the wheels fall off. Ah well, I do like the thing, regardless.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, incase anyone was remotely interested in my little thread here, I have a little update for you.

1) Dynomax Race Bullet muffler (12 inch shell, 16 inch total) - $70.00

Installed, like a Ford Lightning (exits before the rear wheel)

Total S.O.T.P horsepower gain - meh, going to say between 1-5 it has more of a midrange pull now then anything, hopefully i get a little more when i knock out the FOUR catalytic converters and put in two high flows, and then compliment it with an intake.

Curtis

"Gas" prices in the US should be hiked way the hell up to European prices, and the extra money made poured into repairing the damage the US has inflicted onto the environment. Short-term views and the "somebody else will deal with it" attitude is undermining all the good work that people who actually care and make a difference do.

Not open for discussion. I'm off my soapbox.

Just joshin' ya, btw, although I really do think the world needs to embrace more fuel efficient cars and drop the whole "I can afford it right now, I don't care what will happen in the future" attitude.)

Only problem is the small cars are built very shoddy compared to the bigger trucks and cars.

"Gas" prices in the US should be hiked way the hell up to European prices, and the extra money made poured into repairing the damage the US has inflicted onto the environment. Short-term views and the "somebody else will deal with it" attitude is undermining all the good work that people who actually care and make a difference do.

Not open for discussion. I'm off my soapbox.

hehe...if it was not open for discussion,you should never have made such an inflammatory statement.

I will just say,it is always the little guy that complains that the big guy eats more,so to speak.

Only problem is the small cars are built very shoddy compared to the bigger trucks and cars.

Hmm, then you've likely never driven a Honda or Toyota. I have to imagine that you were thinking about Dodge Neon's and Chevy Cavaliers when you made that generalization. (shudder) :D

this seems to have gone off topic...

I have driven honda and toyota...they are okay,but they are not and never have been built as well as the larger vehicles.It's the little things,like door handles,mirrors,stuff like that...all vehicles these days generally make over 200,000 miles on the drive train...but when your dashboard peels up under the windshield from the constant excessive heat of the motor so close to the firewall,or the door handles stop working and you have to climb in and out of the passenger side to drive to work,or the rear view mirror darkens from age and you can barely see through the distorted sun shade of the rear window,it's hard to appreciate the economy of the motor.

thing is,all of the economy cars are made to be as inexpensive as possible...not really made to last...you can spend 3 times as much and get a BMW with the same gas mileage and better peripherals,but then you negate the savings,don't you?

The best value by far is a work pickup...you can get a full size 1/2 ton with a v-8 for $16000 brand new,and it will take you the same 200,000 plus miles as the small car,but everything is more rugged,because it has to be.

unfortunately,there is more to the worth of a vehicle on the road than gas mileage.

I agree wes, you can't beat a pickup :D. It is also a good idea to look for good used vehicles. For instance, the local highway patrol sales off their used Crown Victoria's (which have been upgraded for them) for very low prices and the cars are top quality.

Nice truck, Curtis. I prefer the longbed personally, because it is so useful, but I love F-150's in general.

CMA

I agree that larger engines have to labour less than overrun 4-pots and therefore last longer as a vehicle than a small lump, but I dislike the attitude of the fat guy eating more just for eating's sake as it smacks of irresponsibility, like wiping your ass on pandas ears (i hear they're nice and soft) or gorging yourself on tasty ol' rhino meat. I didn't really want to discuss this because I work for an environmental consultancy (not tree-huggers i might add) so I work with this every day, so i'm biased from a professional standpoint. That said, it's everyone's responsibility to do their bit to stop ruining the environment, not the general attitude of "oh somebody else will pick up the crap I leave behind".

Mathematically, the amount of gas a 200'000 mile car will have used at roughly 30mpg is 6667 gallons and that's pretty economical compared to most US gas guzzling cars. At UK prices, that's about £36'000 (USD$75'000) which is staggering compared to the prices of most cars on the road. US prices would amount to less than half of that! See the figures how you will, but cheap gas means that people will use more and they will. Ultimately, there is no need to use that huge amount of gas "because it's cheap and it's there" and money isn't as important as having a home that isn't flooded, or agricultural lands that are failing due to drought, etc. I would rather pay more money (it comes and goes) to make choices that are responsible for my family and the people around me. Oh, gas isn't going to last forever and bombing brown people to steal theirs is two bad choices to try and meet a useless need.

Personally, i'm glad gas prices are high in the UK because at least it makes people look at the choices they make and look a bit futher into things. Hell, i'm going to cycle into work because it's free and it keeps me healthier. If it was too far to cycle, I would try and car share with somebody to cut costs and waste on running two cars to and from work. If I had to make an internal air flight in the UK, I would consider train as an option if it was feasible. I don't let people in shops waste pointless bags or wrapping on things when that wrapping would otherwise end up in the bin outside the shop. I would rather accept religious and electoral pamphlets the doorknockers give out so they can go straight to recycling as it's generally more valuable than the crap printed on them. I compost waste just so I can laugh as my 11yr old son dumps a load into a stinking bin at the back of the garden. I would prefer to reuse something than to throw money into the convenience machine. Unfortunately, when the whole shebang comes crashing down, my son will be a millions times more annoyed than I get as oceans rise and climate changes, refugees from flooded countries strain already overcrowded nations. Hell - the UK will probably let a few more million in anyway to meet a diversity quota or whatever.

I really wish I hadn't gotten on this soapbox. I get so angry at people's ignorance and short-sightedness.

While I agree that gas guzzlers suck and that fuel mileage and alternative fuels and whatnot are a critical area of research, I don't think that Wes was trying to say exactly what you pegged him for.

The US is a geographically large country with a population that has a relatively long distance commute and, in most areas, poor public transportation options. Now, in certain cities, like New York, you will find that public transportation is a huge and critical part of most peoples lives. But that's not true of most areas. The average commute for a person in the US is around 16 miles. The average commute for someone in the UK is about 8 and a half miles. It comes down to geography and infrastructure as much as anything else.

And for the record, I drive a 'sporty' car that I still average close to 30 MPG in, and have never owned anything other than a 4 cylinder.

but I dislike the attitude of the fat guy eating more just for eating's sake as it smacks of irresponsibility

Actually,I am reffering to a 200 pound 6'4 guy vs a 100 pound 5'3 guy...for example.

more mass = more consumption...bigger economy=more resources used...just the way it is.I don't see anyone ragging on China for being big and bloated,and they are more bloated than the U.S. by far...

Thing is,everyone want to talk trash about the people doing better than themselves,and I find it a bit nonsensical...just so you know,the poor countries in Africa look on you guys the same way you look at us...I don't see Great Britain apologising for the way they did things when they were the most prosporous nation in the world.

but cheap gas means that people will use more and they will.

umm...you do realize the average work commute in this country is much greater than in yours?people only use what gas they need to use,for the most part,and artificially raising gas prices just to "slow it down" will not work,and will only hurt the lower and middle class,making them unable to drive to the job that pays more,until job wages have to be increased to make up for the artificial inflation of the gas so that businesses can keep good workers,and then it is the same problem all over again.

I would have thought that would be more than obvious...inflation spreads...higher gas prices = higher food prices(you know the food is not transported by fairies?)=higher cost of living=higher wages without any higher quality of life.

Your thinking has to be more far reaching than that...you have to realize the ONLY thing that will force alternative fuels is to run out of existing fuel...gradually the world will move to the next thing,or we all die...life is harsh,get used to it.

but I dislike the attitude of the fat guy eating more just for eating's sake as it smacks of irresponsibility

Actually,I am reffering to a 200 pound 6'4 guy vs a 100 pound 5'3 guy...for example.

more mass = more consumption...bigger economy=more resources used...just the way it is.I don't see anyone ragging on China for being big and bloated,and they are more bloated than the U.S. by far...

Thing is,everyone want to talk trash about the people doing better than themselves,and I find it a bit nonsensical...just so you know,the poor countries in Africa look on you guys the same way you look at us...I don't see Great Britain apologising for the way they did things when they were the most prosporous nation in the world.

Ummm....it's nothing to do with the apologising games Wes man, it's more to do with the progressive sense game. I do agree that China and the US are bloated and are consuming more resources than they should be, but surely doesn't that mean that to progress further and more productively, better ideas on resource management should be used? The resource efficiency of the US and China are awful because of the availability of cheap resources and the inefficiencies in using them! This kind of gets back to the original engine comparison point I guess.

The comparision of UK > US as Africa > US is as grossly offensive as it is inherently inaccurate! Prosperity isn't measured in money Wes, surely?

but cheap gas means that people will use more and they will.

umm...you do realize the average work commute in this country is much greater than in yours?people only use what gas they need to use,for the most part,and artificially raising gas prices just to "slow it down" will not work,and will only hurt the lower and middle class,making them unable to drive to the job that pays more,until job wages have to be increased to make up for the artificial inflation of the gas so that businesses can keep good workers,and then it is the same problem all over again.

Oh totally. I understand scale very well. It doesn't mean that efficient vehicles are pointless though. Better decisions can be made - move closer to work, find a closer job.

I would have thought that would be more than obvious...inflation spreads...higher gas prices = higher food prices(you know the food is not transported by fairies?)=higher cost of living=higher wages without any higher quality of life.

Your thinking has to be more far reaching than that...you have to realize the ONLY thing that will force alternative fuels is to run out of existing fuel...gradually the world will move to the next thing,or we all die...life is harsh,get used to it.

Use it till it goes away. Then find another thing to use up. "You have to realise" that alternative fuels aren't a replacement for fossil fuels "just because they're running out" you know? That's morally deficit. One deforested, flooded, ecologically screwed, polluted, semi-extinct planet later: let's go look for another planet instead because this one ran out. Harsh reality - god or whatever isn't going to pull anyone, not least your children or your grandchildren out of this mess. If you can't see it on your own doorstep then apparently it doesn't matter. Mention that to people in Brisbane who haven't seen rain for something like eight years, and the Australian agricultural lands which have parched dry through the worst droughts yet. The terrible flooding in the UK from highly unseasonal rain which the likes of have never been seen. The people in Africa whose few natural water sources are receding even further due to climate change. As long as your jobs there, there's gas in the tank and the cost of living (cost of living isn't based on money contrary to what you might think...) isn't exhorbitant then apparently things are a-ok.

If the right decisions are made, or at worst if we're "lucky" and people are still around in a few hundred years time to look back on history, i'm sure that the arrogant Imperialist UK stuff you referred to will be compared to the US and perhaps even China.

Oh, and of course food is transported by fairies. You're just not looking hard enough.

Flying Spaghetti Monster.

cough.