Help! Heat Gun Problems!

iv tryed using a heat gun on my guitar but before the paint even starts to come off the wood underneath is already scorched.

will this be a problem..its not just black in places its completely dark black.

how can i stop doing this?

im using a heat gun that can be set to something like 230d or 460Dish... im using it on 460ish because 230 doesnt seem to remove any paint at all.

i bought the heat gun coz i was fed up of sanding!!!

and iv already gone through about £15 worth of paper, all i have left is the sanding sealer and the edges. the sanding sealer ill take off with sandpaper coz its looser than paint...but i need to take it off to get rid of some dents.

iv tryed chemicals..they did absolutly nothing.

Sounds like the same kinda problems I've been having...I bought Rustin's Strypit and it doesn't work on the polyester finishes that Ibanez use. I then tried a heatgun and there are a few scorch marks...Luckily I'm going to do it in an opaque colour.

I'm now going to sand it down instead - should have used that method in the first place...I need to sand off everything as I have a fair bit of woodworking to do.

iv sanded the entire front and back and it cost me over £10 in sandpaper just to get down to the basecoat. it would cost me another £6 just to do the edges, plus i want to do more guitars when iv finished this one.

ill just have to learn to use a heatgun properly :/ i need to find someone to show me how to use it without burning :/

iv sanded the entire front and back and it cost me over £10 in sandpaper just to get down to the basecoat.

one tip. dont buy cheap sandpaper. go to an autobody supply shop. not an automotive store, go to the same place that all the bodyshops go to get their supplies and buy the expensive paper. you will spend about as much as you have on the cheap paper, get less, and accomplish alot more in less time.

that is expensive paper O.o

its the stuff that fits my palm sander

anyway iv got all the paint off with the heat gun and i have a very black edge..but it sands off really easyly so its okay

but it looks really cool at the moment... kinda like a mottled black...like a black tank thats been through a warzone. eventully im gonna get a cheap strat and do that to it all over, sand it down a bit and finish it with clear laquer. but i dunno how it will turn out so ill use a really cheap guitar.