S-s-s Plus Dpdt On-on

borge

why not put 2 of the pickups in series to give it a himbukerish sound? (id do the middle and the bridge as the middle is usually out of phase with the others to cancel hum. the bridge just because you usually want a humbucker for heavier sounds. doign all 3 in paralell wont give a sound all that different in my opinion.

if you get another dpdt you can get an out of phase sound aswell, which will be the wiring setup on the guitar im working on now,expcept i will be using 2 single coils instead of 3

Edited by black_labb

why not put 2 of the pickups in series to give it a himbukerish sound? (id do the middle and the bridge as the middle is usually out of phase with the others to cancel hum. the bridge just because you usually want a humbucker for heavier sounds. doign all 3 in paralell wont give a sound all that different in my opinion.

if you get another dpdt you can get an out of phase sound aswell, which will be the wiring setup on the guitar im working on now,expcept i will be using 2 single coils instead of 3

that sounds good, do you know where i colud find a schematic for that?

thanks

im rewiring my strat and it has a dpdt on-on mini switch which adds the neck pu to the bridge pu, while it was useful i was wondering what other possibilities i could use the dpdt for?

Borge , if your budget permits , swap out your single coils for stacked coil humbuckers . there is no refitting or changing the guitar in any way . But with 3 stacked humbuckers , you can take 3 dpdt mini switches with the on/off/on configuration and totally turn your guitar into a tone killer . you have the option of wiring the pickups as single coil / off / double coil , and that gives you 21 tonal combinations . Or you could wire each pickup as your guitar is presently and have a in phase /out of phase option a la Brian May . My personal favorite is 3 Tom Anderson humbuckers all coil tapped as single on / pickup off / humbucker on . 1 Volume & 1 tone pot . You can mix single & humbucking modes on any or all pickups at the same time . what you get is tone options not available on any strat or les paul ! Check it out !

The sheer # of tonal combinations isn't as important as if they sound good. I could be wrong, but I understood the original post as, "here's what I HAVE, what can I do with it?" which doesn't extend to adding extra switches and pickups anyhow... or did I read wrong?

that sounds good, do you know where i colud find a schematic for that?

thanks

basically you want take the 2 pups toy want to do it with and make it so that the leads coming out (other than the ground) are attached twice, not sure how you would want to do it but there are a few ways, take the second pair, and put them so that the 2 are in series (from one to the other) behind eachother, (make sure its start to end into the start then the end, as opposed to start to end to end to start) then run that to one selection of the dpdt switch, and run the other wiring to the other selection of the dpdt switch, then run that into the output. that will give you a choice of regular wiring, or the series with the ones you wired up.