Design Question

I'm getting started on a 7 string for my son. He already has a 7 string (Cort Viva 7), so we are making design adjustments for the new build based on some of the general specs he likes / dislikes about his existing guitar.

He would like some additional width at the nut because he feels a little cramped there on his existing guitar. I can do that of course when laying out the neck taper, but I'm unsure how much additional width is reasonable since I'm not a player. My gut tells me that small changes will make a big difference in feel.

So, is 1/16" or 1.6mm additional width enough, or too much? I know it is subjective but I'm looking for general guidance from you builders and players. Many thanks.

I would say anywhere between 1/16" and 1/8" would be a good start. Your son really won't know if that is enough until after the instrument is completed, so its difficult to say what is too much and what is not enough. Its amazing how such a small difference in neck width can make such a huge difference in feel.

Primal, you described the problem exactly.

Jon, his current 7 string is 1.895" at the nut, which is just wider than 1 7/8" (1.875").

So you are saying that common Floyd locking nuts vary by 1/8". If I added 1/8" on to his existing measurement, the nut width would be just wider than 2" (2.02"). It seems to me if the manufacturer's choices vary by 1/8", that may be a good starting point for me.

This is exactly why I got into building in the first place.

I'd definitely take a rule or calipers with you to a music store and spend an hour or two trying out SIX-string guitars with different nut widths. Especially acoustics, they tend to have wider necks than most electrics. And if you can find a 12-string that is strung up as a six, all the better. Find one you like and go with that.