Copying Guitar, Have Questions

supersonicpurple2.jpg

I am going to build a copy of this guitar. It is a squier super-sonic guitar. I am wanting to the purple burst finish like I photoshopped into this picture. My question is, what would be the best way to get a template of the body shape? Is there a way to scale a picture to the correct size and trace it? or is there anyother tricks to getting the body shape exactly like this guitar? I wish I had a body to trace but I do not have one.

my second question is, should I build a neck and headstock to match this, or should I buy a pre-fabbed neck? warmoth has the exact neck i need but it is rather pricey, to the tune of $160. It is going to be a 24" scale. any suggestions on the neck would be great.

Use google and try to find a picture that is as straight-on as possible (not at a slight angle like that one appears to be). Then blow it up so that a known measurement (i would use the scale length) is accurate and make your tracing from that.

Only use this method to get the shape right, don't rely on it for any crucial measurements (scale length, width at nut, width at bridge, etc.) Squier's website may have records of those or you may be able to find them elsewhere.

As far as the neck goes - If this is your first attempt at something like this, buying the neck might not be a bad idea. You might be able to find a Mighty Mite neck for less than the Warmoth one. That said, if you're willing to invest the time learning, building a neck is not as difficult as it may first seem. It will be a rewarding experience, although with the money you'll invest in materials and tools for the job it will likely cost more than just buying a pre-fabbed neck. It all depends on whether you intend to make building a regular hobby.

yeah it is a 24" scale just like the jaguar and the mustang. Warmoth carries 24" scale with the cbs style headstock. I want the reverse headstock just like that supersonic. I am pretty sure I could build it, but i am wondering after all is said and done, if it would be cheaper to buy than to build? I have the tools to build a the neck other than something to press in the frets and a few router bits.

I found some cad drawings for a jaguar, I am gonna try mirroring the plans and see how accurate they are in comparison to the super-sonic.

this is what I have so far. These dimensions are from scaling off the drawings and I also took the dimensions from the jaguar cad drawing and converted it to the supersonic. Are these dimensions correct?

supersonicplans.jpg

If someone has pictures of the supersonic with the pickguard off, and the picture is pretty close to being straight on, I would like it....I would like to draw up the plans for routing the tremelo and electrical stuff. As well as the back tremelo stuff. Thanks.

The body shape is a jaguar or jazzmaster shape but its reduced in size slightly.

The trem routes are standard fender.

I just sold mine on eBay so cant get any pictures without the scratchplate - if only you had asked last week!!

I was playing with the idea of doing a string thru bridge and with different ideas with the pickguard. I really like the white pearl with the string through bridge. What do you think?

supersonicpurple-4.jpg

supersonicpurple-3.jpg

supersonicpurple-5.jpg

supersonicpurple-6.jpg

Edited by dawnofzion

I love the burst finish that you have put on it. I like the bottom one the most, but that is only my opinium. I would be tempted to use just a tad less black. As for the string throught i think that it looks better, but since i don't know what your palying style is, or what you want from the guitar it is hard to advise just on the looks.

In my opinium tunomatic bridges are great, and string throughs are cool. However I have started to have a longing to have a tremmelo on my les paul after playing some hendrix, so make sure you are making the right descision.

I don't think you can switch to a tune-o-matic bridge on that guitar without giving it a neck angle or else raising the neck pocket slightly. Or you could recess the TOM into the body. Make sure you plan it all out before you start.

I really like the looks of the string through....I will probably putting EMG's in it. This guitar will be for my rock guitar. I will be making the neck and body from scratch so I could possibly make it with a neck angle. What is the most common neck angle with a TOM? I am going to make it either a strat hardtail or the string-thru TOM. The neck will be a bolt on, so will this be a problem with the neck angle?

I really like the looks of the string through....I will probably putting EMG's in it. This guitar will be for my rock guitar. I will be making the neck and body from scratch so I could possibly make it with a neck angle. What is the most common neck angle with a TOM? I am going to make it either a strat hardtail or the string-thru TOM. The neck will be a bolt on, so will this be a problem with the neck angle?

you could just try and build the neck. a 24 scale neck is the same as a 25.5 scale with the first fret cut off.

If you are interested in a full size plexi template, email me... huntindoug@aol.com . With your DXF, or EPS file I can pop you out a laser cut template without a problem. :D

how much do you charge for something like that?