ickle scratches (a slight return)

weezerboy

i figured that i would start a new topic so that people know that i've changed the topic (slightly)

just to update....t-cut doesn't work at all

does anyone have any hints for removing very light (and i mean very light) scratches that just look like little scuffs.

any chemicals, treatments etc would be wonderful

thanks

dan :D

I'm guessing the same as Scott unless you have some of the standard polishing compounds from Stew.

Problem is different compounds would react in different ways depending on what the actual finish is to begin with. Any idea if it is poly or acrylic or enamel or lacquer?

I've used Kit Auto Swirl Remover and Meguiars Swirl Remover on pick scratches and the like with a fair amount of success on two older Yamahas and a couple of late 80s Ibanez axes, but it takes some effort and multiple passes. I was always too chicken to try an orbital buffer, but using a hand chammy will work eventually. Of course, your mileage may vary. I also damn near ruined a Harley tank using a "fine" rubbing compound to buff out some surface oxidation, so be careful. A coat of paste wax might also work, if they're not too deep.

Any automotive POLISH, not wax, will have some abrasive quality in it. Polish is supposed to remove surface contaminants and minor scratching...a high speed buffer with a 'cutting' pad is most effective, but minor stuff can be rubbed out by hand. I use an orbital just for wax application or with swirl remover. If polish won't remove your scratches, step up to the light compound like the Finesse stuff. Finish off with wax to add some protection to your paint.

Hey Dan. I'm certain Squires are poly'ester' finished...very similar to surfboard resin...very hard, but almost brittle. It can scratch fairly easy where polyester being slightly 'softer' may not show the light stuff as easily. A compound and or polish buff will bring out the shine, that stuff is almost indestructible. Good luck.

Hey Dan. I'm certain Squires are poly'ester' finished...very similar to surfboard resin...very hard, but almost brittle. It can scratch fairly easy where polyester being slightly 'softer' may not show the light stuff as easily. A compound and or polish buff will bring out the shine, that stuff is almost indestructible. Good luck.

yup i reliced a squier. it was pretty indestructable. that stuff was like hell.

hehe, my Tele and Strat are polyester and yes, both relic'd. While sanding, it had the strong smell of resin...like when I used to repair surfboards. A pro guitar relic'er told me to shoot nitro over the ploy, and it will check like old nitro...I have a new butterscotch Tele body I'm gonna try it on. While weezer is trying to cherry out his guitar, we're bashing ours... :D