Removing Fretboard

cukaracha

Hot enough, but not too hot :D

I have no idea of temp, just make sure that the wood isn't scorching, and work gently at the glueline with a very thin spatula or razor blade. I have never used steam, and I can't see how it would help. it isn't going to penetrate to the glue line, and fretboards are thin enough for the heat to be transmitted fine without steam. It just seems like an extra opportunity for warping the neck, and damaging the finish.

YMMV.

Steam is actually the highest heat option on my iron. The lower heat option wont even loosen the glue for me. Also, I use aluminum foil over the neck when removing a fingerboard so that the moisture doesn't seep down into the neck. Heat + moisture = warped wood. So that's always under control. But at this point in time I should be investing in a heat blanket to keep from using such a crude tool.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm no expert, but I was able to remove the fretboard from a 30 plus year old Gibson SG fairly easy:

Was trying the iron and it finally started to work, but very slow. Then I decided to just heat up the very thin paint scraper I was using to cut the heated glue line - so I just put the scraper over my gas stove top until it got pretty hot. The hot scraper went throught the glue line like butter. I woud cover about four inches and then need to be reheated. Don't overheat, or you'll scorch the wood.

hope this helps.

I'm no expert, but I was able to remove the fretboard from a 30 plus year old Gibson SG fairly easy:

Was trying the iron and it finally started to work, but very slow. Then I decided to just heat up the very thin paint scraper I was using to cut the heated glue line - so I just put the scraper over my gas stove top until it got pretty hot. The hot scraper went throught the glue line like butter. I woud cover about four inches and then need to be reheated. Don't overheat, or you'll scorch the wood.

hope this helps.

Sounds dangerous, but glad it worked for you :D

I just pulled the fretboard off of my project guitar (most unfortunately) a few days ago, using the steam method, and it was easy as cake. I followed the instructions on the tutorial, and the neck and fretboard were fine, aside from having to sand all the excess glue off of the surfaces. I had no holdups there, I suggest you go ahead and use the iron.

• 2 months later...