Anything you say can and will be used against you.

and you think his joking........we had like an hour long seminar at school about how things you say on the internet can be uses as legal evidence

but i doubt they would find all this stuff

Do you remember last time he screwed up and got in trouble and asked for advice? His dad found the thread and replied to us. So my guess is yes, this stuff would be found.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything you say can and will be used against you.

and you think his joking........we had like an hour long seminar at school about how things you say on the internet can be uses as legal evidence

but i doubt they would find all this stuff

Do you remember last time he screwed up and got in trouble and asked for advice? His dad found the thread and replied to us. So my guess is yes, this stuff would be found.

Yup I remember

and I remember at least five cases (one where my dad was on the jury) where evidence was taken off of online blogs and the person was found guilty because of it.

Because they're going to lie even worse in court! Seriously, though. The best thing anyone can do is NEVER TALK TO THE POLICE ABOUT ANYTHING. They are not there to help you, they are there TO PUT YOU IN JAIL FOR A LOOOOONG TIME, unless of course, you're a juvenile offender then they'll just teach you that it's okay to talk because nothing bad will happen. Then when you get busted as an adult, you'll spill your beans and make their job a lot easier when you just confess, plea guilty, and get sentenced to the max because you were naive enough to believe that they'd still help you out when you turned 17.

There's a difference between not acknowledging doing something, and lying or admitting you did the act. I still wouldn't LIE to them, but I wouldn't tell them straight up what I was doing. Then again, I don't get caught. :D

I'm not stupid, I'm not naive

yet you were drink-driving

It doesn't matter if I was drinking or not, they didn't know that. Innocent until proven guilty, no? They had no grounds to charge me, they simply went on a whim and assumed I was drinking.

i say if you think you old enough to drink drive then you should be old enough to take it like a man.

If you'd be so kind as to point out where I said I was driving or even in a car, please do so.

Everyone seems to think I was driving, I'm not sure why this is. I don't even have a license, and the guy I was with is not stupid enough to drink and drive. The point is, they didn't know if I was drinking or not. It doesn't matter if I was, because for all they know I could have been sober as a judge (sorry). A while back down here, some guy was convicted of grand theft auto but the arresting officer didn't read him his rights as he was being arrested and he got off scott's free. I've already said it, and I feel the need to reiterate it again: innocent until proven guilty.

Edited by Lord-of-the-strings
Everyone seems to think I was driving, I'm not sure why this is. I don't even have a license, and the guy I was with is not stupid enough to drink and drive. The point is, they didn't know if I was drinking or not. It doesn't matter if I was, because for all they know I could have been sober as a judge (sorry). A while back down here, some guy was convicted of grand theft auto but the arresting officer didn't read him his rights as he was being arrested and he got off scott's free. I've already said it, and I feel the need to reiterate it again: innocent until proven guilty.

Nobody seems to know just exactly what you were doing except that you 'got caught drinking'. Like pointed out before, that's enough evidence for a ticket i'd assume. If the cop gave you a ticket, he must have known SOMEHOW that you were drinking. What are you leaving out here?

I really dont understand how you expect advice when you're not giving us the full story. The cop is not going to just randomly say 'oh hey, you're underage and drinking, here's your ticket'.

They asked me if I was drinking, I said no, they didn't give me a roadside sobriety test, breathalyze me, anything.

"Roadside sobriety test" implies that you were... pulled off on the side of the road. You should have said "field sobriety test," as that doesn't imply that you were driving.

The point is, they didn't know if I was drinking or not. It doesn't matter if I was, because for all they know I could have been sober as a judge (sorry). A while back down here, some guy was convicted of grand theft auto but the arresting officer didn't read him his rights as he was being arrested and he got off scott's free. I've already said it, and I feel the need to reiterate it again: innocent until proven guilty.

Hey, genius. You're a minor. If they smelled alcohol on you, you're done. Doesn't matter if you're drunk or not. Guilty as charged.

Hey, genius. You're a minor. If they smelled alcohol on you, you're done. Doesn't matter if you're drunk or not. Guilty as charged.

You'd be shocked at what comes across my desk as "strong odor of alcohol". Listerine, cough medicine, cologne, aftershave, all of which tends to trigger the sensitive copper's nose. Odor is nothing without BAC.

Here's the full story even though it's really not necessary to see why I'd be stressed/aggravated about this situation: Walking home, cop pulls over "How old are you?" "17" "You been drinking?" "No, officer." "Take a seat pal" so like a good person, I sit down. "Do you know why you're here?" "No, sir." "Alright, well I'm going to call your parents and have them pick you up" "Alright." so my father gets there, I step out of the cruiser, then the cop hands me a ticket. So I peace out and go home. End of story.

You know, when I said "I don't want people who will say 'Wahh underage drinking bad' " I wasn't joking. I came in hopes of some advice, some people gave me some good advice, some just ran their mouths.

Congratulations Marksound, you outwitted a 17 year old, want a cookie?

F*ck off (directed at the general forum public, not you specifically Marksound) unless you have something that's going to help me in some kind of way. "NERR YOU CAME ON A FORUM TALKING ABOUT HOW YOU DRANK UNDERAGE AND EXPECT NOT TO BE FLAMED" that's why I said "I don't want people who will say 'Wahh underage drinking bad' " in case you don't understand what that means I'll translate it into Moron for you "**** off unless you're going to give me legal consultation"

NOTE: Legal consultation does not consist of "wahh underage drinking bad" or any other comments towards my actions. It consists of a ) What I should do in court (if I bother to go to court and argue my case) :D How I should approach this and c) what possible outcomes there are besides the fine being nullified. I would also request that people who have no knowledge on the subject do not try to give me any legal consultation as it may result in false beliefs on my part and me making a further bad decision, as afore mentioned.

On a somewhat lesser raged influence thought: Thank you Crafty and everyone else who game me some solid advice. I appreciate it.

If you are gonna be so pissy about it, why don't you get a REAL legal consult, rather than trying to get some advice from a bunch of strangers on a guitar forum (crafty excluded, of course, since it is his profession). Seriously, what DID you expect?

You'd be shocked at what comes across my desk as "strong odor of alcohol". Listerine, cough medicine, cologne, aftershave, all of which tends to trigger the sensitive copper's nose. Odor is nothing without BAC.

BTW Thank you Crafty for that excellent response to my other question about how it goes on your record, you enabled me to understand how it works in a very concise manner, again thank you I was very curious about that, although it doesnt matter much as I do not drink or smoke anymore, lol oh well.

As per the quote, while a passenger in my friends car, we were pulled over for supposedly running a stop sign, which never actually happened, though it was a good excuse to pull over a car full of punk teenagers. Anyhow, I was smoking what is called a clove, a type of cigarette I believe. They have many names, I think the brand was Djarums or something. ANyhow they have a much more potent smell than most cigs and the cop instantly thought we were smoking weed because of the smell. He asked all kinds of questions and wanted to see them and ID and all that good stuff. Thankfully thats all that happened minus my friends ticket, but I can fully see how mistakes happen with cops and substances.

Also, about cops and the truth. I have no problem taking full responsibility for my own actions, always have, always will. In over a decade of driving I have had 3 ticktes and sadly 2 of the 3 were absolute BS and I wished I could have found a way to fight. One a cop said I ran a stop sign, when in fact I actually probably waited at the sign a tad too long in order to avoid pulling out in front of a cop, might have come off as suspicious, but at no time did I ever break the law. The second one was when I was a delivery driver for a pizza place. I was in the crap work car, a 84 hyundia automatic, which barely got around. I stopped, looked and made a right hand turn at a red light, and a car came flying up over a hill and had to slightly veer around me even though it was two lanes. The cop pulled me over and said I failed to give "the right away" or something like that. I said he was flying and there was no way to see him because of the hill and if he wasnt speeding there would have been no problem. He looks at the hill and says yeah he probably was speeding, then says don't be in such a hurry. Trust me that car didn't go anywhere in a hurry, nor did I even do anything wrong, had the guy been doing the speed limit there would have been no problems. The third ticket was again while I was delivering and I had forgotten to put my seatbelt on at the last stop and I told the cop no problem, my mistake. I am very good about the seatbelt and always have been and it was an honest mistake and one that was extremely rare for me. Anyhow no biggie as I did do something wrong. The other two frustrate me in ways I cannot describe. Needless to say I do not give any cop the benefit of the doubt in any situation, nor would I assume they are there in my best interest. If future experiences change this view, that would be great, but I can only go on what I have experienced. I don't have problems with cops and I believe they do an amazing amount of great work for us all and I greatly appreciate it, but I will never give them my trust nor speak openly with one. Just how it is for me and how I see it.

Anyhow, again thanks Crafty for all the insight and info, very informative and I hope that I never have to give you a call, :D

Jason

You already told us that you were drinking, so the only one that needs to "F*%$K OFF is you. You lied to the cop, I believe that could get you in a lot of trouble . Also anyone that gives you advice on how to beat the system could get in alot of trouble. This is a forum and anyone that reads this crap can reply to it if you want them to or not. You know, your response is very childish and this is the second time that I know of that you have posted here for advice about something you got in trouble for trying to avoid the punishment. Be a man and take your punishment. Here is some advice stop doing **** to get in trouble.

If you are gonna be so pissy about it, why don't you get a REAL legal consult, rather than trying to get some advice from a bunch of strangers on a guitar forum (crafty excluded, of course, since it is his profession). Seriously, what DID you expect?

+1

You really should be talking to a solicitor up in Nova Scotia. Even the advice I've given you is very limited just because I am not familiar with the local laws and court rules up there. To say anything more than it sounds like you have a good case and you need to talk to a public defender up there would be unethical on my part.

The most I know about the law in Canada is that they call the lawyers solicitors, they all wear robes in court, and their canon of laws is based on the same Common Law as 49 of the 50 US States and Commonwealths. However, your rights under the Canadian constitution are going to be different than the US and the laws are going to be as different as they are from state to state down here.

Good luck. Hope it works out well for you.

I really have no idea what you're talking about Pmarlin. This is the first time I've been in some kind of legal trouble, and believe you me, this place is the last place I'd turn if I needed help. The last time I recall asking anyone on here for help was about a teacher.

To get to the point, say what you will, because the fact remains that it's an internet forum, and I know none of you, and could really care less what you think about me as a person. You don't know me, and I don't know you. I came on here to get some help, not to start a fight. So if you guys want to sit around and point out all my faults, power to you. I think it's great that you're all adults and are getting some kind of enjoyment out of picking on a kid.

I'm done, I've gotten all the advice I want or need. So feel free to make some witty remarks about my situation, the point is, your words will be falling on deaf ears, and the only person you're going to preaching to is yourself. Like I said, I'm done.

The only reason I turned to "a bunch of complete strangers" is because I have no where else to turn.

As said before, a public defender or whatever the Canadian equivalent is.

If you need any more information, here is a page a found in 5 minutes dealing with Canadian law and the right to counsel.

http://canada.lawyers.com/lawyers/A~102287...TO+COUNSEL.html

These may also be of some use:

http://canada.lawyers.com/lawyers/A%7E1022...ALLEGATION.html

http://canada.lawyers.com/lawyers/A%7E1022...VING+CASES.html

I said I was done, but for this I have to make an exception.

You're trying to compare me skipping a class to me getting charged for underage drinking? :D

I didn't even know that happened, I wasn't spoken to about it by either of my parents.

Am I the only who thinks its funny your dad grounded you for three weeks for skipping class yet he won't tell you to man up and pay your own $450 fine for underage drinking? :D

EDIT: for the record it sucks to pay that amount in fines but pay up and chalk that one up to experience. Lawyers are more expensive than $450. Get an arrangement to pay it in a longer term. I got a $100 fine about 10 years ago (I lived in Montreal then) and didn't pay for 6 months, when I came to pay it had doubled up. Make sure you don't get the same.

Edited by Phil Mailloux
Yeah something like that.

Ignore me.

I forgot to respond here. I wanted to say thanks for the opinion about the question. I was honestly confused because the placement of the other quote gave your post some strange tone in my mind and at first glance I took it as an almost sarcastic remark(smart-ass). I'm glad that I went through and reread everything and realized what it meant. I had just finished a 12 page essay on religion and my mind was fried, so I couldn't place your response back to the initial post, especially with the more recent quote you used. Anyhow, thanks for the opinion on that question. Jason

Well I guess the cops figured if you are old enough to drink you are old enough to pay fines. Be thankful that you are not 1 year older, you could have been charged as an adult which means actually charging you with an offense, fingerprinting, standing in front of a judge and sentencing. :D The sentence would very likely be a $450 fine. :D

http://www.novalawyer.com/sentence.html

Just realize that having something on record with the RCMP, provincial or municiple authorities can seriously affect your chances at getting a gov't job etc. They DO check your background and regardless of how small an offence you committed, they take it seriously. Believe me, you would rather pay a fine than have your "activities" on record. Regardless of the circumstances, things look different on paper years later.

I'm not ragging on you. I've been there myself, it was only a 50 dollar fine back then and the cops were a little more sympathetic. NEVER argue with these guys. You can bet they were probably watching you tilt that beer can to your lips for a good 10 minutes before deciding to break up the party. But every time they hear denial or something stupid come out of your mouth you can hear the dollar signs rising. (Ka-ching! Ka-ching!) When you are asked if you were drinking you say, "YES SIR, SORRY SIR" and then "GOODBYE SIR" after he tells you to go home.